Jump to content
Mander Organ Builders Forum

Requiescat in pace - Francis Jackson


Recommended Posts

Now is, perhaps, not the time for posting memories but just to say how sad I am to hear this news. I understand that Alice, Bill and Edward were with him when he died.

The passing of a giant - now he is reunited with Priscilla - May he rest in peace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Adnosad said:

Bowled out for 103.    Pretty good score really.

In the spirit of the board - 104 actually!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I am, as well as a great many others, it's sad to learn of the death of Dr Francis Jackson at the age of 104. I shall never forget the privilege of turning the music for him when he gave a recital on what is now the Hull Minster organ during the 1950's. No doubt York Minster will honour him with an unforgettable occasion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, S_L said:

In the spirit of the board - 104 actually!!!

Better still.   Maths never my strong point.

Heard The Great  Man a few years ago at Liverpool Met.   Brilliant recital as I remember.

 

1 hour ago, Barry Oakley said:

As I am, as well as a great many others, it's sad to learn of the death of Dr Francis Jackson at the age of 104. I shall never forget the privilege of turning the music for him when he gave a recital on what is now the Hull Minster organ during the 1950's. No doubt York Minster will honour him with an unforgettable occasion.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Barry Oakley said:

No doubt York Minster will honour him with an unforgettable occasion.

And probably a memorial plaque in the choir of the minster.

By Dr. Jackson's passing the world of church music has lost one of its greats. He lived a rich and fulfilling life and the music he composed in the course thereof doubtless inspired many of the church and cathedral musicians of today. My Father was a chorister while at school in Cheltenham (1960s) and told me this evening that he may well have sung some of FJ's music (although he can't remember which pieces). May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DaveHarries said:

And probably a memorial plaque in the choir of the minster.

By Dr. Jackson's passing the world of church music has lost one of its greats. He lived a rich and fulfilling life and the music he composed in the course thereof doubtless inspired many of the church and cathedral musicians of today. My Father was a chorister while at school in Cheltenham (1960s) and told me this evening that he may well have sung some of FJ's music (although he can't remember which pieces). May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

Dave

In my 1965-1970 chorister days, FJ's Benedicite and his Communion in G were very popular. The Benedicite has a very exciting organ part with lots of 'fun for choristers' word-painting. The Communion is notable for the Tuba intro to the Sanctus!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just following on from the above, I am just listening to a splendid (2019) recording of the Benedicite from York with Robert Sharpe and Ben Morris. I have also downloaded Remember for Good  which I don't know but saw a rave tweet about yesterday.

What are fellow organists playing by way of tribute? I will admit that I don't play very much FJ, but the two hymn preludes on Ireland's Love unknown and on his own East Acklam, are within my scope but neither is very seasonal just now, though East Acklam was originally written for the words God that madest earth and heaven rather than For the fruits so it could be suitable for Evensong. I am going to go for the Chorale from Toccata, Chorale and Fugue and the Improvisation on a chant by John Goss which has been recently published to mark FJ's 104th birthday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

What are fellow organists playing by way of tribute?

I imagine that quite a bit of his music will be heard in churches and cathedrals this coming weekend. Bristol Cathedral, of which I am a member of the congregation, had the Jackson in G for the service of Choral Evensong on Sunday 9th January which I unfortunately missed due to having to be elsewhere. The Eucharist for Sunday 16th is planned to comprise music by Ives, Rütti and Guilmant with Evensong that day being music by Clucas, Murrill and Mathias but I will be surprised if a short-notice change doesn't result in the appearance of something by FJ at one or both of those services.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, DaveHarries said:

Bristol Cathedral, of which I am a member of the congregation, had the Jackson in G for the service of Choral Evensong on Sunday 9th January

Didn’t FJ refer to this as “Me in G”?  

As well as a great musician, surely he will always be remembered by anyone who met him as the ‘perfect gentleman’.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

Didn’t FJ refer to this as “Me in G”?  

As well as a great musician, surely he will always be remembered by anyone who met him as the ‘perfect gentleman’.

i believe the "Me in G" quote is correct - but I first heard it as a quote of Sydney Watson and "Me in E," so it may not have been original.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/01/2022 at 09:52, Martin Cooke said:

What are fellow organists playing by way of tribute? I will admit that I don't play very much FJ, but the two hymn preludes on Ireland's Love unknown and on his own East Acklam, are within my scope but neither is very seasonal just now, though East Acklam was originally written for the words God that madest earth and heaven rather than For the fruits so it could be suitable for Evensong. I am going to go for the Chorale from Toccata, Chorale and Fugue and the Improvisation on a chant by John Goss which has been recently published to mark FJ's 104th birthday.

I’m not playing this Sunday, but shall play the Prelude for a Solemn Occasion when I’m next on duty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bam said:

There was a good obituary in yesterdays' Daily Telegraph (Saturday 15 January).

Indeed. I cut out the article and will put it with the next issue of C&O in which I imagine there will be a tribute of at least a page or 2.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Every aspect of the service (meticulously planned by Francis, even down to the metronome speeds for the hymns) was superb. From my position halfway down the nave, the organ to choir balance was perfect. To employ the Tuba mirabilis for just one line of the final hymn was a masterstroke.

Heartfelt thanks to those who contributed their musical talents to such a magnificent send-off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Malcolm Riley said:

Every aspect of the service (meticulously planned by Francis, even down to the metronome speeds for the hymns) was superb. From my position halfway down the nave, the organ to choir balance was perfect. To employ the Tuba mirabilis for just one line of the final hymn was a masterstroke.

Heartfelt thanks to those who contributed their musical talents to such a magnificent send-off.

If this had been on vinyl. I would already have worn out the "Coe Fen" track.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coe Fen has particular memories for me. A beautiful, beautiful tune and somewhere I and my dear late wife used to walk when we were young -  a long time ago!

And I also thought that the use of the famous York Tuba was highly appropriate for the opening line of the last verse!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Malcolm Riley said:

Every aspect of the service (meticulously planned by Francis, even down to the metronome speeds for the hymns) was superb. From my position halfway down the nave, the organ to choir balance was perfect. To employ the Tuba mirabilis for just one line of the final hymn was a masterstroke.

Heartfelt thanks to those who contributed their musical talents to such a magnificent send-off.

Thank you for all the kind comments following Francis's funeral.  It was an honour and privilege to be part of it.  I just wanted to correct one thing which has appeared here and elsewhere.  It's indeed right that all of the content (except the pre-service organ music) was agreed with FJ in 2014.  But only the tempos used in the Wesley anthem (an extract from SSW's magnum opus, O Lord thou art my God) were specified.  No others.  Of course, Francis's views on speed are well known and his spirit lives on.

I would like to pay public tribute to the excellence of Ben Morris's organ playing both at this service and every other.  Choosing to wait for the start of the last verse of the last hymn for the appearance of the Tuba Mirabilis was indeed a masterstroke!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...