Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ Music - opportunities coming up

Martin Cooke

My Rector has been in touch to say remind me that Feb 6th marks exactly the 70th anniversary of the Accession of HM The Queen. Any thoughts on appropriate organ music? There are lots, I suppose! I'm thinking of swatting up the Rinck Variations which are pretty accessible.

The recent RCO Sunday 6th March marks the 2nd Society of Women Organists' Woman Composer Sunday. Do people have favourite pieces in mind for this? I have several favourites:

Florence Price: Adoration; Emma Louise Ashford's Fanfare in G minor - this is quite exciting. It's available on IMSLP, if I remember correctly, as a manuals only piece, but I bought my three stave arrangement (by Richard Williams) on Sheet Music Plus and printed it off. It's quite Lemmens-y! I shall also find some June Nixon and Rosalie Bonighton, and I need to finish learning Judith Weir's Tree of Peace. It's a shame that Anna Lapwood's compilation volume of female composers' organ music isn't published yet. I am sure that will be good.

1 hour ago, Martin Cooke said:

My Rector has been in touch to say remind me that Feb 6th marks exactly the 70th anniversary of the Accession of HM The Queen. Any thoughts on appropriate organ music?

70 years, gosh!  I remember that day, while walking home from school, seeing shopkeepers draping their windows with black crepe material to mark the passing of George VI.  A different era then.

Along with something triumphant to mark the anniversary, might you include something contemplative?  Sir William Harris was the Royal organist ‘in residence’ at the time and had also taught piano to The Queen and Princess Margaret: one of the Short Pieces, the Prelude, perhaps?

Taking current announcements from the media I do not think there will be much junketing for this " forthcoming event "

If I were to select a fitting contribution it would be  Sonata on the 94th.

Amen.