Mander Organ Builders Forum

Ernest Hart

Colin Pykett

Apparently he had not been too well for some time.

He certainly had a very productive and satisfying life.   Good to know that his work  and name is carrying on and developing thanks to Keith Harrington.

Some marvellous digital creations of a musical nature in the otherwise somewhat soulless world of technology which exists between  0 & 1   !

Here`s a scotch, or three, to him,   :)

I only met Ernest twice (1985/6), he came and stayed the night with us, when he came up to Durham, to the little village church where my dad was (again) organist. He came to put a 4ft Flute on the Great, on an analogue organ he had put in a couple of years previous, (before my fathers time, and after the H&H had become totally unplayable). He arrived the first time with his caged Parrot, and the 2nd time with Cherry. RIP Ernest

It must have been in the late 1980’s, around the time Sheffield Cathedral’s Mander pipe organ was decommissioned, and when the Copeman Hart electronic (since replaced by a Phoenix digital organ), was being installed. I visited the cathedral at the time Ernie Hart was sitting on the organ bench with a laptop computer and appeared to doing some regulating. I stood not far from the console and listened for quite some time. Whereupon I was surprised and aghast when in so many words EH told me to Pee-off. I’m not sure if it was the result of a hangover or he had complete disregard for public relations.

On 21/01/2022 at 12:39, Barry Oakley said:

It must have been in the late 1980’s, around the time Sheffield Cathedral’s Mander pipe organ was decommissioned, and when the Copeman Hart electronic (since replaced by a Phoenix digital organ), was being installed. I visited the cathedral at the time Ernie Hart was sitting on the organ bench with a laptop computer and appeared to doing some regulating. I stood not far from the console and listened for quite some time. Whereupon I was surprised and aghast when in so many words EH told me to Pee-off. I’m not sure if it was the result of a hangover or he had complete disregard for public relations.

Well that was a nice little anecdote for an obit.    Would you happen to have any more of a similar nature that you might like to share with forum members,friends, and family ?