Mander Organ Builders Forum

Not organ music but Harold Darke, nonetheless

Martin Cooke

Crescendo Publications (Australia) have just published three volumes of Harold Darke's piano music. For an example see here. I had absolutely no idea that he wrote piano music. Has it been available over here all this time? Does anyone play any? Will you now??! By the way, Australian dollars are each about £0.56.

Hello Martin,

Very interesting to read your message about Harold Darke.  I did not know about these 3 pieces which are very well written and not too easy (!).  I was Harold Darke's assistant from 1959 until he retired from St. Michael's Cornhill in 1966.  However, I publish in my Fitzjohn Music Publications piano solo catalogue his Three Piano Pieces for Piano Solo (Capriccio, Humoreske and Nocturne),    It is all lovely music and well worth exploring and playing.  He wrote for my wedding in 1965 at St. Sepulchre's Church, Holborn, London his Wedding Processional and came and played it at the end of the service which was a great privilege.  I also publish this piece which is very Elgarian in nature.The catalogues can be viewed at www.impulse-music.co.uk/fitzjohnmusic

Best wishes,

David