Mander Organ Builders Forum

Taking stock - organs

Martin Cooke

Hello - could we share a bit on what rebuild or new organ schemes we're either waiting to hear full news on or upon which we await a triumphant conclusion? 

Getting the ball rolling:

New schemes awaited:

Norwich

Bristol - ? (or is that out??)

Wells

Winchester - (pretty much known, I suppose)

Magdalen College, Oxford

Charterhouse School

Gloucester - ?? Paul Hale's website suggests that this is being thought about

Imminent conclusions of schemes:

St Mary, Portsea

Wimborne Minster

Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral

Bristol Beacon

Leeds Town Hall

Manchester Town Hall

St John's College, Cambridge

Newcastle Anglican Cathedral - are they getting a new organ or a rebuild?

St Barnabas, Oxford - Willis pipework from Sheffield Anglican Cathedral

Worcester Cathedral Transept organ

Edited by Philip J Wells

25 minutes ago, Philip J Wells said:

Yikes! Is Worcester transept organ actually sparking into life?? There is, in the meantime, of course, the main organ which is undergoing repair etc by Nicholsons.

2 hours ago, Philip J Wells said:

I'm intrigued as to the state of play at both Cathedrals in Birmingham!

8 minutes ago, Keitha said:

The 1994 Walker at St Chads, Birmingham, was given a complete clean and overhaul by Nicholsons in 2019.  I haven't played it since, but by all accounts, it is in fine fettle!

It's a wonderful instrument! I'm curious about their plan for a small Holdich organ to be installed as an "orgue de choeur". 

On 24/03/2022 at 14:10, undamaris said:

It's a wonderful instrument! I'm curious about their plan for a small Holdich organ to be installed as an "orgue de choeur". 

St. Chad's Cathedral has, on the music staff, three very fine players including, surely, one of the UK's finest liturgical organists and, at the risk of getting it wrong, or into trouble, I suspect the influence of the Organiste Honoraire here! I suspect that the plan is that the orgue de choeur will accompanying the choir sitting in the stalls in the front of the nave and the Walker, in the back gallery, being used to accompany the congregation and play the improvisations/voluntaries before and after Mass. Rather like a French Cathedral may have been before the baby and bath water was thrown out following the Second Vatican Council. I also suspect that, no matter how small the Holdich is, it will sound, in the hands of the Organiste Honoraire, totally magnificent and huge - rather like the little two manual at the back of the Birmingham Oratory sounded during his time there. I also suspect a well-worn path down the north aisle as the aforesaid gentleman commutes, frequently, between the two organs during the Mass!!!

I really look forward to the experience!!!

Not quite sure at what stage Liverpool Metropolitan is at with regards to  " concluding "  restoration work.  Just looked at the site and the only ref to the organ is dated Feb last year when they stated " they hope to launch an appeal for 1m in the next few months ".

Manna from heaven perhaps?

Think the Anglican is still rumbling on with the Echo division, but not much news from that direction either.

There is a gallery pleaser recital planned for Easter but that`s about it for the present.

13 hours ago, Adnosad said:

Not quite sure at what stage Liverpool Metropolitan is at with regards to  " concluding "  restoration work.  Just looked at the site and the only ref to the organ is dated Feb last year when they stated " they hope to launch an appeal for 1m in the next few months ".

Manna from heaven perhaps?

Think the Anglican is still rumbling on with the Echo division, but not much news from that direction either.

There is a gallery pleaser recital planned for Easter but that`s about it for the present.

I don't know if other forumites receive Dr Keith Harrington's weekly email from Church Organ World, but he has picked up from Liverpool Anglican Cathedral that this year's may be the last Easter bank holiday organ recital - a series that has been running since 1926. New 'things' are in the offing in terms of recitals, but Keith also says that we are to await a very exciting announcement about the organ in the near future. Another stop/division in the offing, perhaps??

14 minutes ago, Martin Cooke said:

I don't know if other forumites receive Dr Keith Harrington's weekly email from Church Organ World, but he has picked up from Liverpool Anglican Cathedral that this year's may be the last Easter bank holiday organ recital - a series that has been running since 1926. New 'things' are in the offing in terms of recitals, but Keith also says that we are to await a very exciting announcement about the organ in the near future. Another stop/division in the offing, perhaps??

HHHHmm!   Interesting and somewhat disconcerting.   Even more disturbing to read on the Anglican site the " mission statement " which goes along the lines of  " the sole purpose of the organ is to aid worship and provide a serene and peaceful environment "  ( sic )

Pretty much spells it out what the grand plan is going to be  - " exciting plans";  sends a shudder down ones spine.

Looks like 3.5m   has been pretty much flushed round the bend.

Heyho.

What an interesting description of an organ's purpose. I would have thought a more appropriate and modern one would be along the lines of "to deliver impactful and measurable musical artefacts in a cross-paradigm environment aligned to the requirements of all stakeholders whilst reaching out for maximum community engagement but within the defined budgetary envelope."

I am sure JSB had something similar in mind when he composed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2022 at 08:18, Martin Cooke said:

Hello - could we share a bit on what rebuild or new organ schemes we're either waiting to hear full news on or upon which we await a triumphant conclusion? 

[.....]

Bristol - ? (or is that out??)

Latest from Bristol, from the point of view as a member of the congregation, is that the pipe organ is still active but clearly not in a great state because an electronic organ (Regent 356 SDK, 3 manuals) has been put in place in case the pipe organ, which it is planned will remain in use for as long as possible, suffers a major failure. According to a notice which went up in the cathedral advising of plans to install the electronic, the work on the pipe organ will take place "between January 2024 and August 2025". I believe I am right in saying that the contract has gone to H&H.

Documents were released on the Cathedral's website giving full details of the scheme: they are no longer available but, IIRC, things such as an expansion of the stoplist (partly using, again IIRC, redundant Walker pipework from elsewhere) were mentioned.

Dave

On 04/04/2022 at 23:05, DaveHarries said:

Latest from Bristol, from the point of view as a member of the congregation, is that the pipe organ is still active but clearly not in a great state because an electronic organ (Regent 356 SDK, 3 manuals) has been put in place in case the pipe organ, which it is planned will remain in use for as long as possible, suffers a major failure. According to a notice which went up in the cathedral advising of plans to install the electronic, the work on the pipe organ will take place "between January 2024 and August 2025". I believe I am right in saying that the contract has gone to H&H.

Documents were released on the Cathedral's website giving full details of the scheme: they are no longer available but, IIRC, things such as an expansion of the stoplist (partly using, again IIRC, redundant Walker pipework from elsewhere) were mentioned.

Dave

Just to clarify, the electronic isn't fully installed - the main speakers will go on a platform yet to be built which will be opposite the pipe organ.

The documents were part of the CFCE application - there is to be a small expansion of the pipe organ stoplist (mostly putting back elements of the 1907 scheme lost over time) but there's no redundant pipework involved that I know of - unless anyone knows what happened to our Choir Clarinet in 1947!

Paul

6 hours ago, Paul Walton said:

Just to clarify, the electronic isn't fully installed - the main speakers will go on a platform yet to be built which will be opposite the pipe organ.

The documents were part of the CFCE application - there is to be a small expansion of the pipe organ stoplist (mostly putting back elements of the 1907 scheme lost over time) but there's no redundant pipework involved that I know of - unless anyone knows what happened to our Choir Clarinet in 1947!

Paul

Thanks for the clarification Paul and for giving some idea of what the stoplist changes will entail.

Dave

On 23/03/2022 at 08:18, Martin Cooke said:

New schemes awaited:

[.....]

Gloucester - ?? Paul Hale's website suggests that this is being thought about

When doing notices on Sunday 03rd April the Very Rev. Stephen Lake, outgoing Dean of Gloucester (I should call him the Rt. Rev. Stephen Lake, Bishop of Salisbury: he had received his legal title as such on Friday 01st April - he will be enthroned sometime after Easter - but the Bishop of Gloucester said in her farewell remarks that she had decided to "give him permission to be in the Cathedral") informed the congregation that Jonathan Hope, the organist who had been playing for the service, had been playing it "with only about half of it working". Regardless of however much of it was working (or not) it sounded in fine voice. The words that Dean Stephen said can be heard here: it should start at the right point if the link given by YouTube to the timing point copied correctly.

Interesting that they are getting their temporary organ straight in rather than giving the pipe organ the chance to continue a bit longer though.

Dave

Thanks Dave. That all seems rather sudden and serious. The only mention I have seen online of any possible issues with the organ has been the bit on Paul Hale's website and that's it. Who's supplying the digital organ, I wonder? (Thank goodness for digital organs!)

6 hours ago, DaveHarries said:

When doing notices on Sunday 03rd April the Very Rev. Stephen Lake, outgoing Dean of Gloucester (I should call him the Rt. Rev. Stephen Lake, Bishop of Salisbury: he had received his legal title as such on Friday 01st April

Hmmm. That’s a bit of a stretch. He seems to have been elected by the Salisbury chapter on 2nd March. On 1st April that election was confirmed by the Metropolitan (Archbishop of Canterbury), which does have certain legal implications, but there is some way to go yet, for he will not be a bishop until his consecration (“episcopal ordination” if you prefer the new terminology) on 25th April.

(In the best tradition of this forum for digression ….)

I cannot let this topic pass by without reference to the still silent, magnificent 104-stop, 4-manual Forster & Andrews/John Compton organ in Hull Minster. It's awaiting the generosity of funds from charitable trusts that are still to become evident! Hull is a city without a cathedral but the Minster fulfils that function with its grandeur. It's just as important to the city as the cathedrals in Liverpool, Norwich, Bristol, York, Canterbury, Gloucester etc., etc., Please don't forget the city of Kingston upon Hull, to give it its proper title. 

3 hours ago, Barry Oakley said:

I cannot let this topic pass by without reference to the still silent, magnificent 104-stop, 4-manual Forster & Andrews/John Compton organ in Hull Minster. It's awaiting the generosity of funds from charitable trusts that are still to become evident! Hull is a city without a cathedral but the Minster fulfils that function with its grandeur. It's just as important to the city as the cathedrals in Liverpool, Norwich, Bristol, York, Canterbury, Gloucester etc., etc., Please don't forget the city of Kingston upon Hull, to give it its proper title. 

That's it Barry - keep banging the Hull drum!! Someone will listen one day and it will be done! Of that I am sure!!!