Mander Organ Builders Forum

Adjustable Benches

bam

Last Tuesday there was a piece on lady organists and adjustable benches billed on Women's Hour by Marion Lees McPherson of the Society of Women Organists, but as it clashed with the service for Prince Philip I didn't listen.  I've now found that it is available here - scroll to about 36 mins: 

https://podcasts.apple.com/lu/podcast/womans-hour/id130950322

https://www.societyofwomenorganists.co.uk/

The adjustment on one of the instruments I play is stool; stool plus blocks; stool plus blocks plus prayer books!

Most of the village churches round here have had their benches cut down, sometimes drastically, so for many players it’s a struggle to lift their feet sufficiently high to make playing the pedals feasible. I go round with a set of adjustable blocks I made to cope with these benches which are all low but of varying heights.

The most inconvenient instrument I know in the area, however, has a bench of reasonable height for me, but it’s fixed a long way back from the keys. I can’t imagine anyone other than a gorilla finding it comfortable to play.

My 11 year old is learning the organ, and we decided to buy him an adjustable stool.  I searched and found one on Gumtree of all places.  It was billed as a 'Mid 20th Century Adjustable Table' - which it wasn't!  At £225, it seemed a snip at the price, and a quick trip to Salisbury to pick it up proved that it wasn't a table at all.  The guy I bought it off was very proud of the fact that he and his wife made their living from selling mid 1950s memorabilia.  I have to confess that I didn't feel like bursting his bubble!!  The stool is excellent, probably made by one of the more upmarket toaster manufacturers.

I have discovered that Gumtree is a very good place to find things like this.  I picked up a very nice Romsey Organ Works key block for £600 (cost new, well over £2K).  The other odd place to look is Facebook Market place.  

On 02/04/2022 at 17:07, handsoff said:

I use 8 words-only copies of Mission Praise for the same purpose. The vicar looked a bit askance when I said that I knew there must be a use for them somewhere...

One of our regular deputies repurposes 20 congregation Taizé booklets for the same effect!