Mander Organ Builders Forum

Gloucester Cathedral

Barry Oakley

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Organ is a sufficient description, this recent penchant for "Grand Organ" seems pretentious and unnecessary to me.

I can't see any details as yet on Nicholson's web site and the new Gloucester Cathedral website (as a professional website developer) both baffles and horrifies me! Bring back the old!

12 hours ago, sotto said:

I think Organ is a sufficient description, this recent penchant for "Grand Organ" seems pretentious and unnecessary to me.

I can't see any details as yet on Nicholson's web site and the new Gloucester Cathedral website (as a professional website developer) both baffles and horrifies me! Bring back the old!

I agree the website is dreadful for the internet visitor.  Not even a search box into which one could insert "organ", as far as I could make out.  At least you don't have to click on an "enter" button to access the other pages, a lesson learnt painfully by web designers who hadn't heard of SEO.  But beyond that, it has nothing to recommend it at all.  A very old fashioned and irritating initial exposure to the way their operations manager (or whoever) presumably thinks things should be done.  Not the sort of site I want to waste more than a few seconds of my time on.

I agree, Gloucester's website isn't the easiest to find information from. The best info is actually on a page of an organ recital given earlier this week:  https://gloucestercathedral.org.uk/whats-on/evening-organ-recital-with-james-mitchell

In his introduction on the video, Jonathan Hope references that Nicholson's wont be starting for a few years and that the cathedral also need to do fundraising to pay for the work. As a result the organ, which is now unplayable, will be of action until 2025. They are currently using a digital instrument with a local sample set from down the road in Hereford.

If anyone wants a reminder of what a fine instrument this is, here is an recital given by Jonathan Hope in October last year.

Am quite sure that the Nicholson restoration work will equal that previously carried out by HNB. Be interesting to see what" tweaks" they include.

Have to say though that I can hear distant cries from down a long dusty tunnel  of " it`s not like it used to be".

Re` the cathedral website; seems perfectly adequate to me ,perhaps they have revamped it

Watched part of the YT recital.   Very good. Must exhume the Priory cd for an airing , that contains some interesting pieces if my failing memory serves me correctly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

This, surely, is a spoof in spite of appearing on Nicholson’s website?  It’s signed off by James Atherton in the same month as he asked whether he might put up a suggested specification on the ‘other’ thread “Gloucester Armchair Game”.

Quite honestly i don't know what to make of it. I've always been a firm believer in an independent Pedal organ as much as possible (space permitting of course), but the derivations and borrowings on this one defy belief. I'm not keen on reed chorus extensions either. I would imagine Ralph Downes will be spinning in his grave at least 24,000 rpm, which is about as much as a modern powerful turbo on a Ferrari. Seriously though, have we come full circle? Is this the reincarnation of John Compton and Robert Hope Jones?

38 minutes ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

Has anyone actually analysed the ‘composition’ of the pedal organ?  I’m unsure whether sjf1967 is also pulling our legs!

It’s now for James Atherton to ‘come clean’.  

The composition of the Pedal organ looks straightforward.

There are only three fully independent stops: Open Wood 16 (the old Bishop stop), Subbass 16, and Flute 4.

The rest are either derived, or extensions/borrowings from elsewhere.

The two 32' flues are extensions as a polyphone setup. This was much used by John Compton in his theatre organs. 

Yes, a change of stated intent, and if this is what the builders and the cathedral were working towards then it's very understandable. There's nothing new here but the melding of different philosophies is certainly new for the UK and well done to all concerned for breaking the mould of the traditional British cathedral organ, much like Downes did in '71. It's extremely enlightened and given the overall brief, very logical. my only query would be where the position of nave division will be.   

1 hour ago, ajsphead said:

my only query would be where the position of nave division will be.   

"In the 1971 instrument the soundboards were reconfigured so that the organ spoke clearly to the east and west. This effective idea will be perpetuated with a Nave division speaking west."

I, so, wish they hadn't published the proposals!! It would save so much speculation by well intentioned amateur, 'back of fag packet' organ designers.

I do  understand the reasons behind publishing but I fear that this thread will go on and on until it has been thrashed to death!!!

Why can't people just wait until the scheme is realised? 

10 minutes ago, S_L said:

I, so, wish they hadn't published the proposals!! It would save so much speculation by well intentioned amateur, 'back of fag packet' organ designers.

I do  understand the reasons behind publishing but I fear that this thread will go on and on until it has been thrashed to death!!!

Why can't people just wait until the scheme is realised? 

I get that some people can't understand the scheme, or have ideas of how they would do things differently. That's all part of our funny little world. I am open to all questions and will chat to anyone about this scheme. 

At the moment it is a list of stop names. How it sounds and how it plays is what actually matters.

10 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Publishing the spec is a change of the stated intent, though.  Back in April, James wrote (in this post) : "We have decided that it would be preferable for the organ to be heard before any details of the specification is revealed".

Paul

On reflection, we decided that enough time had passed since the demise of the 1971 instrument, and that for fund raising purposes it would be helpful for people to know what they are contributing towards.