Mander Organ Builders Forum

Belfast Cathedral

DaveHarries

It seems that the music setup at Belfast Cathedral is being "restructured" due to the cathedral's finances not being in a good state. Which, as we saw at Sheffield (IIRC) usually means only one thing.....
https://www.belfastcathedral.org/news/restructuring-of-belfast-cathedral-music-department

Belfast's loss will be somewhere else's gain.

Dave

9 hours ago, John Robinson said:

Oh, not as bad as I thought.  I was sure it would be something about replacing their organ with a toaster!

I know that you are being funny but, no, John, it's worse than that - people's livelihoods are at stake!!!

Way back, in the last century, I found myself on the short-list (of three!) for the post of Director of Music in one of our cathedrals. The night before the interview I had a phone call from a close friend. "Are you sure that you want to go and work, full-time, for the church?" I went to the interview and was, subsequently, appointed but, on reflection, over the weekend, turned the post down. A couple of years later and a recession appeared, money became tighter and that post of 'Director of Music' was re-structured. The person appointed became 'Director of Institutional Planning and Music' or some such, a job I could never have done. I would have been miserable.

I'm afraid that the last two years have seen cathedrals take a bit hit when it comes to income. Some, with perhaps a more considerable income, before Covid struck, had instituted major plans for organ rebuilds or had formulated plans for 'Music Development' with sound financial investment and advice. Other's, perhaps less prestigious or less glamourous (no reflection on Belfast!), perhaps had no such plans or were, perhaps, considering them but then the pandemic struck and they have found it more difficult coming back after it. Good quality music is expensive. The people employed are usually highly qualified and experienced at their job. In any other profession, with similar experience and qualifications, they would be in a totally different income bracket. But I'm afraid that, whenever the purse strings start to bite, in the Church, the first thing that 'the authorities' look at slimming down is the music!! 

I have to say that the statement, posted on 27th of July, with changes 'that will come into effect from 01 September 2022' seems indecently short notice.

3 hours ago, S_L said:

...  A couple of years later and a recession appeared, money became tighter and that post of 'Director of Music' was re-structured. The person appointed became 'Director of Institutional Planning and Music' ...

Only the other day on another thread a post appeared about changes at Buckfast which, on the face of it, looked similar to what SL mentions here.  Having said this, I have no further knowledge about what might be happening there so there might not, in fact, be all that much similarity for all I know.

See: https://mander-organs-forum.invisionzone.com/topic/3877-appointments-2/page/21/#comment-80947 (and then scroll down the page to the post by DaveHarries).

On 29/07/2022 at 10:30, Colin Pykett said:

Only the other day on another thread a post appeared about changes at Buckfast which, on the face of it, looked similar to what SL mentions here.  Having said this, I have no further knowledge about what might be happening there so there might not, in fact, be all that much similarity for all I know.

See: https://mander-organs-forum.invisionzone.com/topic/3877-appointments-2/page/21/#comment-80947 (and then scroll down the page to the post by DaveHarries).

Valid point but I think the changes at Buckfast are not a restructuring as nobody, AFAICT, is being made redundant. When the position of Chapter Clerk was advertised at Bristol Cathedral the job title given was "Chief Operating Officer (Chapter Clerk)" so perhaps a similar combination of roles exists (or is shortly to do so) at Buckfast on that front.

Dave