Mander Organ Builders Forum

Lambeth Conference Opening Holy Communion - organ processionals

Keitha

I was watching this on Youtube and was rather taken with a couple of the organ pieces that were played as the bishops processed into Canterbury Cathedral. I recognised all of the Bach, but some of the other pieces were outside my realm! They are not listed on the Order of Service, so if anyone knows them I would be very grateful for the information.  All the organ music was beautifully played on what I think is a superb instrument.

I’d need to listen again to the recording, but I know that two of the pieces were:

Ceremonial March - Herbert Sumsion

Festive Voluntary - Flor Peeters

I was watching and listening as my twin boys are in the choir, so I’m one very proud dad.  They were even at the front of the procession behind the crucifer.

The final service of the Lambeth Conference is tomorrow afternoon, and I wonder if we are going to be subject to another 45+ minute procession.  Then with a little bit of luck, my two boys can come back to France and enjoy the rest of their holiday.

Many thanks Paul.  It was the Sumsion that I was really after - my memory had failed completely! Also, I don't think that anyone ever really gives choristers enough credit for the hours they put in - I hope the rest of the holiday goes well!