Mander Organ Builders Forum

Quick help with Anglican chant

Martin Cooke

The link below (a page within the website I linked to in my earlier post) seems to identify the chant you are looking for.  (If you click on the 'chant' heading and then any of the numbers below it, a MIDI file downloads and starts playing - at least on my laptop).  The page lists several sources but they, except perhaps the Lichfield Psalter, might not be widely available - the Anglican Chant Appreciation Society; the Neville Richards Private Collection; and the Society for the Promotion and Discussion of Anglican Chant.

https://www.anglicanchant.nl/chants/base0237017896.html

I wouldn't have thought it beyond a half decent A level student to listen to the YouTube recording and write it out. There was a time, at A level, when writing a treble and bass part and giving the implied harmony was part of the course. 

The chant, in question, is a little more difficult than was required for the old A level - but it seems straight forward enough!

Looks like a bit of Aural Dictation is on the cards Martin!!!

25 minutes ago, S_L said:

I wouldn't have thought it beyond a half decent A level student to listen to the YouTube recording and write it out. There was a time, at A level, when writing a treble and bass part and giving the implied harmony was part of the course. 

The chant, in question, is a little more difficult than was required for the old A level - but it seems straight forward enough!

Looks like a bit of Aural Dictation is on the cards Martin!!!

Ugh! I know!

2 hours ago, SlowOrg said:

Could it be something like this?

Parrat-Ps122.thumb.png.2276a20c9866acbeae70e44efb3d0f6c.png

Ha - yes, indeed something like that for sure - and thank you so much, SloOrg - but can't I year a second treble part? My ears are getting old!! I have actually been promised a copy in a week or two's time now, so we'll see how they compare. Thank you so much for going to all this trouble.

On 15/10/2022 at 19:24, Martin Cooke said:

Ha - yes, indeed something like that for sure - and thank you so much, SloOrg - but can't I year a second treble part? My ears are getting old!!

Helpfully it is set to Psalm 122 in the Lincoln Psalter and there is, indeed, a second treble part.  I’m afraid repeated efforts to copy it here have failed after numerous attempts!

I think I should add that SlowOrg’s transcription is very close to the ‘real thing’ which is actually written out on four staves!

Edited by Rowland Wateridge
Added comment about transcription

I’m fairly sure there is another version of this with much more divisi.

i think Canterbury used to use it (maybe still do?) for Ps.150.

In the version quoted above, is the Treble G# in the last quarter correct? Should it be a B?

7 hours ago, DHM said:

I’m fairly sure there is another version of this with much more divisi.

In the version quoted above, is the Treble G# in the last quarter correct? Should it be a B?

As I said, the chant is laid out on four staves in the Lincoln Psalter.  I have a clear photograph of it which I cannot post here as it exceeds the size capacity.  I can send it by email to anyone who wants it and lets me know their email address by PM.

The treble G# is indeed correct.  To repeat, SlowOrg’s transcription was remarkably on target.

Thanks to Rowland Wateridge, the "mystery" has been solved. This is the Parratt chant from the Lincoln Psalter (as notated by me) …

Parrat-Ps122B.thumb.png.20e0b52270215da9a66c82644f7a1ae4.png

… and, for comparison, my earlier attempt at figuring out the harmony (which doesn’t seem all that convincing now); the treble is based on the information given here:

Parrat-Ps122A.thumb.png.4cedd5ec6ca3524123db9109cb5d4c33.png 

The differences in the treble might be due to variations between chant books (?).