Mander Organ Builders Forum

Score-writing

Martin Cooke

I don't do enough arranging or composing to justify buying professional score-writing software but happily use Musescore which is freely available. I have always inputted 'stuff' using an Apple keyboard and mouse, but wonder if I should be graduating to an music keyboard of some sort. Can anyone tell me what I need, please? I'm hoping there is a small/mini keyboard out there and I don't have any sort of electric keyboard at the moment except my three-manual Viscount Ouverture. I know, I know... you'll all think I've been in a cave - but, actually, in the past, I was 'all over' keyboards of all shapes and sizes - (remember the Yamaha DX7? Gosh! I made some wonderful organ sounds on that - well, I thought so at the time!) - but I'm out of date with them now. I'm after something relatively simple. Thank you!

The main problem is that, like so much today, more is less - there's too much choice!  You might know what I'm about to say, and if so, I wouldn't want you to feel you are being preached at or talked down to.  But basically, all you need is a keyboard which provides a MIDI signal to your PC.  Virtually all of them do.  There are two types of keyboard - those which make sounds on their own (usually via a nasty little speaker(s) in the case, but which can nevertheless be quite useful), and those which only provide MIDI signals.  But the first type will also provide MIDI as well as make sounds, except perhaps for a few of the very cheapest or some very old items.  The second type of keyboards are often called 'MIDI Controllers' because they only control what something else does (e.g. a PC) rather than make musical sounds of their own.   The second type are those you might focus on as they are used by professionals or others who are into digital music in a serious way.

For more on MIDI itself I suggest you get that from the web if you need a tutorial.  But MIDI connectivity is an issue.  You will usually need a MIDI cable of some sort.  I say 'usually' because some keyboards can communicate wirelessly.  MIDI cables are widely available if they don't come with the keyboard you buy, and they usually plug into a USB socket on the PC.  There is a second type of MIDI cable - also widely available - which has 5-pin circular DIN plugs instead of USB plugs, and these can be quite useful for interfacing to things like hardware synthesisers rather than computers.  MIDI was originally developed using the DIN method, and if you get a keyboard with both USB and DIN sockets at the back then you have the best of both worlds.

As to which keyboard you should get, I hesitate to be too specific, but will nevertheless do so.  The M-Audio Keystation range of keyboards have a good reputation, as they sit between the cheap end of the market which are little more than children's toys and the pro end (where you can spend a lot of money with diminishing returns).  Typical prices are around £130.  You will probably want a 61 note version since they offer other compasses, so make sure you order the right one!  I think I'm right in saying that they have both USB and DIN output sockets for MIDI.  Personally I'd avoid buying second hand as a lot of this type of gear gets roughly treated.

I've written enough, probably too much.  Is this any help? 

But before buying anything at all, you might also consider trying your Viscount as a first step.  It will almost certainly provide a MIDI output (probably via a DIN socket somewhere round the back - use one labelled 'MIDI Out' if there are several).  However I can appreciate that you might find it rather a sledge hammer to crack a nut.  But it might help to ascend the learning curve.

Dr Pykett is informed, sensible and thorough as ever!  

Whether you want a 61-keyer may depend on your desk space.  I had a 49-key one for a while and it was fine for what I needed - ie not performance!  You could switch octaves between high and low depending what you were trying to play at the time*.  It depends what you want to do.  This one has 49 keys and is very affordable at £77.  Agreed on the recommendation of M-Audio - good quality stuff.

* Hmm didn't most organs in Bach's day stop 2 octaves above middle C?

Hi

I use a generic 49 note MIDI controller, connected over USB.  I find having the keyboard is easier when it comes to selecting notes, but (as far as I( know) you have to select the note length first - and remember to change it when you go from quavers to minims etc.!  I find it a quick & convenient means of note entry once you get the hang of it.

Every Blessing

Tony

I currently use a fairly old version of Sibelius but have used Finale - and even the original DOS version of Score - in the past.
Everyone will have their own favourite way of inputting stuff. For simple things, I get on fine with the Sibelius approach of note length with the mouse and note selected on the keyboard.

If it's longer and more complex, I've found it much easier to input (play) the music (usually a line at a time) into a DAW - I use a very old Cakewalk - then quantise it and save it as a midi file. I then import the midi file into Sibelius and just have to do tidying up.

(In theory, I could do it directly into Sibelius but it's always seemed easier to me getting stuff into Cakewalk/Sonar/etc.)

Steve

For the quickest inputting, use a separate numeric keypad - unless you happen to have a PC with the number pad situated on the left of your QWERTY keyboard. 

These, I have just found, are classified as 'left-handed' keyboards.

This enables me, as a right-hander, to play the notes with my RH on the music keyboard and adjust the note lengths with my LH via the numeric.

Thanks to Paul Patterson for this invaluable, time-saving method - which works with Sibelius. Unclear about other software.