Mander Organ Builders Forum

Pachelbel - Chorale Preludes

Martin Cooke

I am writing this is a bit of a rush but want to get it 'out there' before I have to go out for a few hours - apologies if some dots need joining up.

So, Chorale Preludes by Pachelbel... what's a good edition? I know they are ?all available on IMSLP, but I am much taken with one or two, eg Vom himmel hoch in the OUP Christmas Organ Music which I assume is arranged over three staves by Robert Gower, and Ein feste burg - on IMSLP arranged, again, I presume, over three staves by the excellent Pierre Gouin. Most of the IMSLP entries are on two staves and also very small. Is there a good edition in existence where many of these preludes are laid out on three staves? And if there is, and there are several volumes of P's organ works, please can you nod me towards the volume(s) that contain chorale preludes rather than P's other organ works? 

Sorry if I am laying bare endless amounts of ignorance about Johann Pachelbel! Please try to ignore!

I'm afraid I can't help you with 3-stave versions.  Bärenreiter has what I think is the most comprehensive set of Pachelbel's organ works, which includes 2 volumes of choral preludes - which I think are all 2-stave (I haven't bought it yet, but it may be a present to myself when we get our chamber organ built!).  There's also what I think is a new Dover edition (a facsimile of the old Breitkopf edition) which includes many Choral Preludes and other pieces - but it does retail at £14.99!  However, I think that the CPs are 2-stave. 

I have the Dover edition (though there may be a newer one). It's fine, but the print is small. I find 2-stave versions of the chorale preludes are fine, especially as many are playable either manuals only or with pedals (often for the chorale melody). Perhaps makes them more adaptable.

I must admit I don't play many of Pachelbel's chorale preludes - they can be a bit dull. Trevor picked most of the best ones!