Mander Organ Builders Forum

Wachet Auf!

Martin Cooke

Can anyone please suggest any Chorale Preludes on Wachet Auf other than:

• The Bach Schubler prelude
  • Flor Peeters
  • JG Walther (in OUP Seasonal Chorale Preludes for Manual Vol 1)
  • Richard Syner*
  • The one in the OUP Advent & Christmas volume in the Hymn Settings for Organists series
  • Karg Elert's noisy C major one

I'd be particularly interested in any that exist that are pre-Bach or by folk like Krebs and other students or sons of JSB.

* I may not mean Richard Syner - maybe I meant Paul Fey, but that may still be incorrect.

A Google search of imslp gave me this link:

In other words, loads.

I've done this lovely Krebs a few times with a good trumpeter though if very brave AND talented you could play trumpet with one hand and organ with feet and other hand (someone's done it on Youtube).

You missed off the massive Reger but a generation later came a three section partita by Hugo Distler who tragically killed himself aged 34 in 1942 to avoid Nazi conscription.

Gustav Thomas looks fairly straightforward and effective.

Alfred Glaus seemed to design his as a pedal exercise.

Widor's Marche du Veilleur de nuit, no 4 in Bach's Memento is on Wachet Auf.

1 hour ago, Contrabombarde said:

I've done this lovely Krebs a few times with a good trumpeter though if very brave AND talented you could play trumpet with one hand and organ with feet and other hand (someone's done it on Youtube).

There's another version with trumpet and organ in the Miscellaneous Chorales book of the Barenreiter Bach (BWV Anh. 66)

There's a Vierstimmige Choralsatz version by Scheidt (from the Gorlitzer Tabulaturbuch): it's in the Peters Edition of "Ausgewahlte Werke). I haven't played it but having just found it I think I might try it on Sunday.

There's a Toccata-type piece by Miles l'A, Martin in book 4 of Anne Marsden Thomas's Graded Anthology. Quite a good piece.

And there's Dupre's little prelude in his "79 chorales"

Thanks very much for all these pointers. I am in the process of checking them out. Actually, the Krebs is there on IMSLP under the other tab, arranged for organ only, with the chorale melody in the feet - a neat solution.

There are two preludes on Wachet Auf in the OUP Christmas Organ Music for Manuals (2017). One is by JF Greiss, 1720-1768, and the other is an arrangement by Robert Gower of BWV Anh. 66. I have not come across either before. [The 'must have' in this volume is Matthew Owens' Toccata on Good King Wenceslas].

2 hours ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

Having played this piece before evensong just now, I see that it’s the second   verse that Trevor prints.

It's the first verse in Seasonal Chorale preludes (Vol 1, for manuals).

Thank you for the link. I'm glad to see there is another verse and will add it to my Advent repertoire (though I don't play for enough Advent services to fit many pieces in - especially when the bells only finish ringing 45 seconds before the service, as they did this morning. Just got Bach's Nun Komm' from the Orgelbuchlein in.

21 hours ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

Not for the first time I have muddled up Oxford books! I was playing from Organ Music for Manuals, where Trevor prints the second verse and I’ve pasted in the first.

Gosh... quite a confusing story this one! So, just to be clear... not to say pedantic! ...

• There are two verses to this chorale prelude which is by JG Walther
  • Verse 1 was included by CH Trevor in his volume Seasonal Chorale Preludes for manuals only, Volume 1 - published by OUP in 1962
  • He then included verse 2 in his Organ Music for Manuals Volume 1 - published in 1972