Mander Organ Builders Forum

Wimborne Minster

contraviolone

Our hosts have recently rebuilt the organ at Wimborne Minster, and the revised specification is now available at NPOR:

https://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=N10180

This certainly looks a very useful and interesting rebuild of the Minster organ. The two new photographs show the revised console

and pedal. I've never heard the instrument live both past and present, so would be interested to hear views on the completed project.

Thank you for spotting this update.  Slightly strange that there's no information on the main Mander web-site about this fairly major rebuild, that (AFAIK) this is the first time the new stop list has been made public., and that the NPOR listing doesn't even mention the gorgeous new casework!  Indeed it actually contains pictures of the old ugly pipe screens without mentioning their thankful demise, while carefully photographing the (handsome but visually minor) changes to the console.  I'm sure the work at Wimborne is good and the vision for the project is superb and to be warmly congratulated, but the public comms seem a bit ... patchy.

4 hours ago, SomeChap said:

Thank you for spotting this update.  Slightly strange that there's no information on the main Mander web-site about this fairly major rebuild, that (AFAIK) this is the first time the new stop list has been made public., and that the NPOR listing doesn't even mention the gorgeous new casework!  Indeed it actually contains pictures of the old ugly pipe screens without mentioning their thankful demise, while carefully photographing the (handsome but visually minor) changes to the console.  I'm sure the work at Wimborne is good and the vision for the project is superb and to be warmly congratulated, but the public comms seem a bit ... patchy.

Agree with all your points. The new casework looks impressive but as you say no photos on NPOR and indeed very little coverage of this rebuild on this site or elsewhere. I wasn't expecting any update on NPOR before learning it elsewhere such as this site! 

5 hours ago, Paul Walton said:

The NPOR spec isn't entirely accurate - photographs of the console on Facebook show a Pedal Clarion and Choir Tuba (as well as the Orchestral Trumpet).

Thanks for that. I was looking for the photo on facebook but couldn't find it. If you can provide a link that would be of interest. Bit strange that the NPOR entry is not completely accurate!

As it is the new specification has some interesting additions, notably the new Pedal 32' Sub bass, the aforementioned Choir 8' Tuba, and a new coupler Swell Reeds on Pedal. 

15 hours ago, Paul Walton said:

Photos I've seen were posted by Sean Tucker but not sure if they're public.

Paul

Thanks for that. Looking on the Manders facebook page there is a photo of the new Choir 8' Tuba. It does seem strange that both the new Tuba and the Pedal Clarion (presumably at 4' pitch) were omitted on the NPOR entry. It makes you wonder if anything else is missing?