Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organs In Nice / Monaco Area

Guest Andrew Butler

Guest Andrew Butler

Am off for long weekend in Nice area in a couple of weeks time (step-daughter's wedding)

Anyone tell me of any organs worth hearing / seeing / playing (if so how accessible) ?

As for Monaco, a local organist, Marc Giacone, just posted a review about the organs that are used in recital there:

Les instruments utilisés pour les concerts sont :

- l'orgue Boisseau de la cathédrale

- l'orgue tamburini de l'église Saint-Charles

- l'orgue Cavaillé-Coll de la chapelle des Carmes

Occasionnellement en concert également :

- l'orgue Gonzalès de Saint-Martin

- l'orgue Simon de Saint-Paul

There are 13 organs in Monaco.

Here is Mr Giacone's Website. You can join him (E-Mail on the page)

to arrange something for you:

http://wakamba.site.voila.fr/orgmg.html

In the Nice area there are some gems, but many are in bad state and seldom used.

Do not miss St-Maximin du Var, not very far away, one of the most fabulous french

organs.

Pierre

As for Monaco, a local organist, Marc Giacone, just posted a review about the organs that are used in recital there:

- l'orgue tamburini de l'église Saint-Charles

- l'orgue Cavaillé-Coll de la chapelle des Carmes

Occasionnellement en concert également :

- l'orgue Gonzalès de Saint-Martin

- l'orgue Simon de Saint-Paul

There are 13 organs in Monaco.

Here is Mr Giacone's Website. You can join him (E-Mail on the page)

to arrange something for you:

http://wakamba.site.voila.fr/orgmg.html

In the Nice area there are some gems, but many are in bad state and seldom used.

Do not miss St-Maximin du Var, not very far away, one of the most fabulous french

organs.

Pierre

Titulaire Pierre BARDON very often plays mini recitals on sunday afternoon (about 16.00 if I'm not mistaken).

As Pierre said: don't miss it.

• 2 months later...
Am off for long weekend in Nice area in a couple of weeks time (step-daughter's wedding)

Anyone tell me of any organs worth hearing / seeing / playing (if so how accessible) ?

Hello Andrew,

I have only recently joined and can only contribute slightly to this. Pierre has provided excellent information. I have an apartment at Eze Village and have been going regularly there for about 35 years, and I thought there were hardly any organs in the area. Now there is a new organ in one of the city centre churches and I attended part of an evening concert, June 2005, played by all the local organists, incl the Monaco cathedral organist, Rene Saorgin. This started at 2100 and finished at 2400, I stayed for about an hour and stewards brought round frequent glasses of juice etc. The year before I read all about this organ in the local paper the Nice Matin, but I have temp. forgotten the name. The English church in Nice has an old original Walker recently refurbished, and only small, perhaps 15 stops, but sounds very well because of the spacious accoustic. The French organist improvises marvellously upon it. The Cathedral organ Ste Reparte, was done up in the 1970's under the direction of Pierre Cochereau who lived in the area, but I have never heard it. Sometimes I have attended recitals in Monaco cathedral a 4 man Tamburini about 60 stops, but despite that, it sounds very well, Quite full in the middle registers, I recall, always a weak point with many continental builders.

The main organ, as far as I know, is at St Maximin some way west, and north of Toulon., sited in its magnificent Basilica. I understand it to be the most important organ on the Cote d'Azur. You get a magnificent view of this from the motorway. The place itself is dreadful, Prosper Merimee got it right back in 1834 when he said 'St Maximim is a miserable hole between Aix and Draguignan'. It hasn't changed.

A large organ by Isnard (1773) 3,000 pipes, and now fully restored.

The organ was saved from destruction during the Revolution, because Lucien Bonaparte, the town Governor, played the Marseillaise on the organ, all stops out, when the revolutionaries arrived at the town gates.

Michael Sullivan.

Titulaire Pierre BARDON very often plays mini recitals on sunday afternoon (about 16.00 if I'm not mistaken).

As Pierre said: don't miss it.

It's one of the 'greats' even if you are not into music of the Couperin/De Grigny era. Pierre Bardon has been there for many years - it really is his baby. I've only ever heard it on CD but even there it sounds truly amazing.

See:

http://www.uquebec.ca/musique/orgues/france/smaximinp.html

Scroll down a bit for info. in English

Also this:

http://www.lesamisdelabasilique.com/

Go to the English section then 'program' and scroll down a bit.

AJJ

Guest Andrew Butler

Thanks one and all.

Had a very "nice" few days in Nice, but only got to see the Cathedrale St reparate organ (which I believe is currently out of action.....?) although the Orgue de Choeur looks used - is it a CC? Looks so from console......

Had a stroll (mountaineer?!) round Eze!

A welcome feature of St Reparate and other Nice churches is that the local organist association usually has installed a plaque outlining the history of the organ and listing the spec. I wonder if you visited the other big church in Nice. Its on the road to the station-still dug up I imagine-and has a smaller organ voiced for German music.

A welcome feature of St Reparate and other Nice churches is that the local organist association usually has installed a plaque outlining the history of the organ and listing the spec.  I wonder if you visited the other big church in Nice. Its on the road to the station-still dug up I imagine-and has a smaller organ voiced for German music.

Good morning Parsfan,

I was going to mention that; a good idea and in many other churches in Provence (les amis des orgues). Quite often just a small framed account of the spec. so you have to look carefully on all the near pillars by the door. There are rarely organ recitals in the big church on the Avenue Jean Medecin, or is it the Rue de France ? never mind I forget. Yes there is still massive disruption in the city centre, but now most of the tram lines are in position. ( France is SO much more go ahead than ourselves in this respect).

Some readers might be interested in Ste Reparte. She was a 15 yr old virgin martyred in Caesarea in the 4th century, arrived in Nice in a boat of flowers towed by a pair of angels (hence Baie des Anges). Actually this same Reparte was the 1st patron saint of Florence before that city adopted intermediaries with greater heavenly clout !.

The new organ whose name I couldn't recall in an earlier post is St Pierre d'arene. A 3 man instrument in a street behind the Promenade des Anglais.

I will also mention the little organ in the village church at PEILLE, a small village to the NE. They have been given the organ from the Royal chapel in Monaco Palace, just 2/17 - built by Merklin of Lyon around 1950, and installed in the little church in 1989. Now they are apealing to people for funds to install a trumpet rank. I only mention this as it is unusual to find much interest in the organ in a village church.

M.S.

Good morning Parsfan,

I was going to mention that; a good idea and in many other churches in Provence (les amis des orgues).  Quite often just a small framed account of the spec. so you have to look carefully on all the near pillars by the door.  There are rarely organ recitals in the big church on the Avenue Jean Medecin, or is it the Rue de France ?  never mind I forget.  Yes there is still massive disruption in the city centre, but now most of the tram lines are in position. ( France is SO much more go ahead than ourselves in this respect).

Some readers might be interested in Ste Reparte.  She was a 15 yr old virgin martyred in Caesarea in the 4th century, arrived in Nice in a boat of flowers towed by a pair of angels (hence Baie des Anges).  Actually this same Reparte was the 1st patron saint of Florence before that city adopted intermediaries with greater heavenly clout !.

The new organ whose name I couldn't recall in an earlier post is St Pierre d'arene.  A 3 man instrument in a street behind the Promenade des Anglais.

I will also mention the little organ in the village church at PEILLE, a small village to the NE.  They have been given the organ from the Royal chapel in Monaco Palace, just 2/17 - built by Merklin of Lyon around 1950, and installed in the little church in 1989.  Now they are apealing to people for funds to install a trumpet rank.  I only mention this as it is unusual to find much interest in the organ in a village church.

M.S.

I think that the board in St Reparate records that when refurbished in the 60s or 70s Pierre Cocherau gave the opening recital. Another incentive to visit this small cathedral is the marvellous ice cream shop nearby. Flavours that you never thought were possible !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Pierre,

Iam reading again the above. It was necessary for Tamburini to rebuild the Cathedral organ only 12 years after Boisseau had supposedly done so !!

This was circa 1988.

Anyway it sounds very well now, or did when I last heard it. 4 man and about 60 stops.

Next Sunday August 20th Ben van Oosten will be giving a recital at the Cathedral at 5 pm. His programme will be: 1st Sonata - Guilmant and 5th Symphony - Widor. Rene Saorgin has been put out to pasture/retired, and now there is a new organist Olivier Vernet, so possibly matters may start to look up there organwise. !

M.S.