Mander Organ Builders Forum

Shoes For Pedalling

Vox Humana

What sort of organ shoes do you use?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What sort of organ shoes do you use?

• Organmaster (or similar)
    • Leather sole, leather heel
    • Leather sole, rubber heel
    • Rubber sole, rubber heel
    • Other
    • None

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When John Scott Whiteley arrived in Neuenfelde to record there for 21st Century Bach, he surprised me when opening the back of his car:

Two boxes with about ten pairs of organ shoes!

So for him the poll would have to be adapted to allow clicking EVERY button :lol:

Guest Lee Blick

Perhaps he uses a different pair for a particular musical period. Or some special shoes if he is playing Liszt, or high heels if performing a selection from the Wizard of Oz. :lol:

I generally use slippers at home. I don't find playing in socks that easy, partly because of the lack of heel but mainly because I kep stubbing my toes on the black notes and it's painful! Though the triple pedalling at the end of Guillemant I is easier with the extra flexion afforded in socks. When buying shoes I try to find ones with as thin a sole as possible that doesn't look so thin it will fall apart. Increasingly difficult as soles seem to be getting thicker. But I don't carry organ shoes with me and so expect that if I find myself playing somewhere, I should expect to play in whatever shoes I'm wearing. I prefer rubber soles and heels - indeed the one organ playing pair of shoes I once bought I don't care for much as the leather sole is too slippery for me. But they are incredibly lightweight. Weight, and thinness of sole is for me paramount.