Mander Organ Builders Forum

En Chamade

Vox Humana

Here's a pretty hair-raising example. Whilst there might be small boys out there who want to learn the organ because they have ambitions to play trios sonatas and tierces en tailles, this kind of thing is the reason I took it up!

Washington, Copland

Is there really more than one stop being used here, as the notes suggest? I realise that the notes mention the Trompette en chamade (which is on the Solo), but I am wondering whether the stop being used is actually the Great Posthorn. That was certainly a very brazen (and very loud) stop - possibly more so than the one in the video (but it was a long time ago - memory dims with time...)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....By jove......Lord, have mercy upon us!!!!

Pierre

..........You should also hear Dorothy Papadakos playing it (without percussion - organ only!) from St John the Divine NY on the CD set 'Great Organs of New York' - that is certaily coronary stuff what with the State Tumpet alternating with all the rest of the reeds there. 'Sounds best through headphones!

AJJ

Is there really more than one stop being used here, as the notes suggest? I realise that the notes mention the Trompette en chamade (which is on the Solo), but I am wondering whether the stop being used is actually the Great Posthorn. That was certainly a very brazen (and very loud) stop - possibly more so than the one in the video (but it was a long time ago - memory dims with time...)

I agree - I can't really hear any difference around 1'40". Sounds like all on one chamade, or plus a few chorus reeds coupled through for 'fatness'. I imagine Cynic's chamades have a similarly shattering effect in their domestic surroundings! B) Must get hold of DP's recording (at SJD, not Hull!).

I agree - I can't really hear any difference around 1'40". Sounds like all on one chamade, or plus a few chorus reeds coupled through for 'fatness'. I imagine Cynic's chamades have a similarly shattering effect in their domestic surroundings! ;) Must get hold of DP's recording (at SJD, not Hull!).

OW! My home-made Chamade is a thing of beauty - musically speaking.

In my visitor's book I have a comment by no less an authority than the great Mr.Briggs to the effect that if those pipes ever went missing, I would know where to start looking for them.

In my visitor's book I have a comment by no less an authority than the great Mr.Briggs to the effect that if those pipes ever went missing, I would know where to start looking for them.

Hehe ;) I wouldn't expect anything less, Paul! As is the Washington chamade IMHO. Look forward to hearing them both one of these days. Best wishes, Ian

I've just been reading the details of your house organ on your website, Paul. For anybody who hasn't visited that site, it's one of the most entertaining I've ever seen and you could happily spend an entire evening (or two!) looking over it.

I've just been reading the details of your house organ on your website, Paul. For anybody who hasn't visited that site, it's one of the most entertaining I've ever seen and you could happily spend an entire evening (or two!) looking over it.

The cheque would be in the post, Gareth only........