Mander Organ Builders Forum

Pedal-board Dimensions

Mark Taylor

I am sure he is, although I have met him only once.

I did not for a moment accuse him of passing off Ivorine or Ivothene, etc as ivory - rather that H&H must have had a legal store of ivory left-over, from which they were able to supply the several new draw-stops for St. David's Cathedral.

It was well documented in articles about St David's organ that Paul Hale kindly donated some old spare HN&B drawstops from the old organ at Southwell, which matched the existing HN&B stops at St Davids.

If you have ever worked with H&H you would know that Mark V would never try to pull the wool. The H&H reputation, and his, is just not worth it - and anyway he is a man of the highest integrity. (As indeed is JPM ...)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fair point - but personally, I would still choose a pipe organ every time.

Arguably, Truro is also too loud (if not too big) for the building - full organ is more than adequate and even with the cathedral full of methodists singing lustily, the organ clearly dominated - without all of the big reeds or the Tuba.

Wasn't that the tuba that was moved because it was too quiet? :lol:

Yes - but Manders left the mechanism in case anyone in future wanted to move it back.

AJJ

Which is very good news. :D

I personally think the organ at Truro is fantastic. Others on this board have said that from a player’s perspective it is flawed; yet as a non-player I only hear it as the players play it. Every time I’ve heard it the players manage to bring it alive and it’s a joy to listen to. :lol:

It was well documented in articles about St David's organ that Paul Hale kindly donated some old spare HN&B drawstops from the old organ at Southwell, which matched the existing HN&B stops at St Davids.

Not so in the two articles which I have read....

I shall have to do some further reading - although I do not doubt you.

• 2 months later...

This thread has wandered somewhat since my original question (one of the pleasures of this discussion board). However, I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my original question with helpful advice. I went down to Chobham and met Paul Wren, and I am now the proud owner of a Viscount Minuet, with which I am very pleased.

This means that I have a pedal board that I no longer need. I believe that it originally came from the Priory Church of St James in central Bristol, (Broadmead) and I'd like to find it a good home, maybe with a learner who wants to put together a practice instrument. To this end, if anyone can put me in touch with an organ teacher that I can approach in Surrey (or nearby) I'd be grateful.

This means that I have a pedal board that I no longer need. I believe that it originally came from the Priory Church of St James in central Bristol, (Broadmead) and I'd like to find it a good home, maybe with a learner who wants to put together a practice instrument.  To this end, if anyone can put me in touch with an organ teacher that I can approach in Surrey (or nearby) I'd be grateful.

I could certainly do with a pedalboard if it's going to get thrown out.

In Surrey you could try approaching John Belcher at SS Peter and Paul, Godalming. Details of the church are at http://www.organrecitals.com/m/ssppg.html but I know John is not a computer man - the church will be able to give you contact details.

Guest Lee Blick
This thread has wandered somewhat since my original question (one of the pleasures of this discussion board).  However, I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my original question with helpful advice.  I went down to Chobham and met Paul Wren, and I am now the proud owner of a Viscount Minuet, with which I am very pleased.

This means that I have a pedal board that I no longer need. I believe that it originally came from the Priory Church of St James in central Bristol, (Broadmead) and I'd like to find it a good home, maybe with a learner who wants to put together a practice instrument.  To this end, if anyone can put me in touch with an organ teacher that I can approach in Surrey (or nearby) I'd be grateful.

Is it a new Viscount model, Mark? I have a Viscount Opera.

Is it a new Viscount model, Mark?  I have a Viscount Opera.

Just a little history. When I lived in Bristol I knew the church as St James in the Horsefair. It had a largish three manual pneumatic instrument under the care of, and last rebuilt by W.G.Vowles in their better days.

The organist was Ernest Mizen, an organist of considerable local repution who frequently broadcast on the West of England Home service in the days when broadcast organ recitals were a regular featuer together with such instruments as those in Bath Abbey, Truro Cathedral, All Saints, Southbourne, Bournemouth and a Hele instrument in Newton Abbott, played by W.Gordon Brewer.

FF

Is it a new Viscount model, Mark?  I have a Viscount Opera.

What I meant to type was "Wyvern Minuet"! I did try a Viscount but decided on the Wyvern.

In Surrey you could try approaching John Belcher at SS Peter and Paul, Godalming.

David, Thanks for the suggestion. Rest assured I am not going to through it away.