Mander Organ Builders Forum

News From America...

Greetings,

Seeing as there seems to be an occasional morbid interest in our American monster instruments from time to time here, I feel obligated to relay the following advert found in this month's issue of the Diapason magazine:

Historic Atlantic City Convention Hall Seeks Organ Curator

The Historic Organ Restoration Committee, Inc. is seeking letters of interest and qualification statements from professionals for the full-time position of Midmer-Losh and Kimbal Organs Curator.

<snip>

The Historic Organ Restoration Committee, Inc. is a non-profit 501c3 entity serving as an advisory board in the stewardship of the Historic Atlantic City Convention Hall (NHL, 1929) Midmer-Losh and Kimball organs. Letters of interest and statements of qualifications shall be submitted in the manner detailed and prescribed in the Curator Qualification Regulations, which can be obtained by contacting the Historic Organ Restoration Committee, Inc. c/o Atlantic City Convention and Visitors Authority.

Only prospective applicants whose qualification statements are determined to be acceptable will receive a detailed position application and be contacted for further consideration.

<snip>

- N

• 2 months later...

Won't curating the Midmer-Losh be a bit like trying to teach your great grandmother to pole-vault? It's not even playable any more, is it? Considering that the current owners of the hall have been reported as having no interest in the instrument, the Historic Organ Restoration Committee must have an uphill struggle on its hands.

Greetings,

A curator for the instruments will be good news for them - they really need the sort of protection and representation that a full-time caretaker can provide. It is true that there was at one time little or no interest on the part of the owners regarding saving the instruments:

http://www.nationaltrust.org/magazine/arch...tory/032103.htm

However, the committee and the initial funding gift toward repair of the instruments were created and provided by the owners of the organs - which is good news.

I figured that given the EU lead scare there would be a flood of applications from fine English builders! B)

- Nathan

I do hope that one day this organ can be fully restored so that people can hear it as it was meant to be heard and judge for themselves whether it is a stroke of musical genius or a hideous monstrosity. Whatever it may be, it is unique. It would be a crime if it disappeared without trace.

I do hope that one day this organ can be fully restored so that people can hear it as it was meant to be heard and judge for themselves whether it is a stroke of musical genius or a hideous monstrosity. Whatever it may be, it is unique. It would be a crime if it disappeared without trace.

At the RC church of the Assumption, Ansonia, Connecticut is the very much smaller 'sibling' of Atlantic City - built by Midmer Losh at the same time and not long restored by the US company Foley Baker. One can get an impression of things by listening to some of the effects there - double languid Great Diapason, vast Tuba and a Post Horn disguised as the Great Trumpet.

http://www.assumptionansonia.org/Organ.html

AJJ

.............although the 'clip' on the website would not play on my machine just now!!

At the RC church of the Assumption, Ansonia, Connecticut is the very much smaller 'sibling' of Atlantic City - built by Midmer Losh at the same time and not long restored by the US company Foley Baker. One can get an impression of things by listening to some of the effects there - double languid Great Diapason, vast Tuba and a Post Horn disguised as the Great Trumpet.

http://www.assumptionansonia.org/Organ.html

AJJ

.............although the 'clip' on the website would not play on my machine just now!!

Now that is an interesting one!

Thanks!

The specification deserves more than a glance...

Pierre

Now that is an interesting one!

Thanks!

The specification deserves more than a glance...

Pierre

Pierre

You can also get a CD via the OHS - on Raven CDs - played by the Director of Music, Anthony Burke. (It all made me wonder though quite what I would do with the 73 note Choir Organ!)

AJJ

• 1 year later...

They got there curator and he`s making good progress with things. He managed to get power back to the left stage chamber and he also managed to get the 64fy dulzian up and running again. I think that once he gets things on the go again the right stage chamber (10,000 pipes) could be working by summer 08.