Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ For A George Iii Interior

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

I have a church in my Diocesan care from around 1810. They are needing to send out a large C20th organ in their restoration and I would really love to see another of more fitting size and musicality put in its place. Any charming and cased organs needing a home? Would be really good to hear of any.

Thanks

NJA

P.S. Quite unable to spell today. Sorry!

It might be worth keeping an ear to the ground for St Mary's, Devizes - a very fine 2m tracker Sweetland full of period features and with a clever device grooving the Gt Stopt Diapason Bass to the bottom octave of the Swell. It's the church where Sweetland himself was organist and makes some really delightful sounds. The church is horribly under-used and now, since its "parish" consists mostly of car parks and kebab vans and there are already 4 major Anglican churches in Devizes, its future seems uncertain to say the least.

There's also an 1813 Joseph Davis organ at Dauntsey's School. It's 2 manuals (Gt 8884432(used to be a trumpet), Sw 8848 fiddle G, pedal 16. Needs much restoration - has been unceremoniously carved up to accept an RCO pedalboard and a couple of stops have mysteriously disappeared. Its most unique feature is a 6' long barrel which plays Mozart Magic Flute overture (pinned a year or so before the first performance of Flute in UK) and Dead March from Saul. 6' barrels apparently very rare. The barrel has a few ranks of its own - 2' open flutes and things like that. I did have it working when I was there and we made a recording of it. There is gorgeous brass marquetry all over the case but it's being baked in its current position, and the school is totally disinterested in it, probably because it doesn't have a plug on the end of it. Its one custodian has just retired so I think they would probably be receptive to an approach.

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
I have a church in my Diocesan care from around 1810. They are needing to send out a large C20th organ in their restoration and I would really love to see another of more fitting size and musicality put in its place. Any charming and cased organs needing a home? Would be really good to hear of any.

Thanks

NJA

I have a strong contender for you. I cannot say for certain if the church in question still wants to part with their old organ, but they certainly did when I visited it a while ago. I was told then that I could have it provided that The Planners (presumably Manchester DAC) were satisfied as to the suitability of a suggested new home. Take my word for it, this instrument is potentially absolutely splendid!

BIOS thinks that the case is by Renn, I think it's by G.P.England - whatever, architecturally it's a gem, though wanting some modest tidying up. After the usual number of rebuilds, the organ still boasts a large amount of old pipework and it's all currently on tubular-pneumatic action which means that it's uneconomic for its present owners to repair.

If this has whetted your appetite, I suggest you look up

St.Michael and All Angels, Mottram-in-Longdendale, Greater Manchester on the NPOR.

Grid ref. SJ9995 and BIOS identification NO1530

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
I have a strong contender for you. I cannot say for certain if the church in question still wants to part with their old organ, but they certainly did when I visited it a while ago. I was told then that I could have it provided that The Planners (presumably Manchester DAC) were satisfied as to the suitability of a suggested new home. Take my word for it, this instrument is potentially absolutely splendid!

BIOS thinks that the case is by Renn, I think it's by G.P.England - whatever,  architecturally it's a gem, though wanting some modest tidying up. After the usual number of rebuilds, the organ still boasts a large amount of old pipework and it's all currently on tubular-pneumatic action which means that it's uneconomic for its present owners to repair.

If this has whetted your appetite, I suggest you look up

St.Michael and All Angels, Mottram-in-Longdendale, Greater Manchester on the NPOR.

Grid ref. SJ9995  and BIOS identification NO1530

So many many thanks for this, you guys above. I have a meeting this week and so will be able to (pr)offer the advice and information.

Best wishes,

NJA

Thanks

NJA

The case, at least from Mottram was sold to Feenstra a few years ago, and now graces the organ at De Krim, in Holland.

Bill Drake is still advertizing a 3 manual Bishop of 1847 which he has in storage: very conservative for the date.

There is a large organ by Henry Lincoln in storage (ex Holy Trinity, Newington). Try Martin Renshaw.

Also, the much altered Samuel Green organ from St Mary's Chatham is still supposed to be in storage somewhere, though no one seems to know where. Good Case (picture in Wickens).

Also, what about the Renn organ from St George, Hulme? This very important instrument is supposedly dispersed, but bits and pieces seem to turn up from time to time.

Thaxted? Lincoln 1822, 3 manuals, almost complete. The parish hate it and would love to throw it out. I don't think the DOC would approve, but these days, beggars can't be choosers... It is not, after all, in its original home.

Paul

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
The case, at least from Mottram was sold to Feenstra a few years ago, and now graces the organ at De Krim, in Holland.

Sorry Nigel, my opinion/advice was thoroughly out-of-date. Mind you, at least this has found a new home as it certainly deserved to do. BIOS obviously don't know or the NPOR would have been clear on the subject. Ah well.

At all events, good luck with your search!

I know of a small, strictly historic and un-restored c.1850 Two-manual Forster & Andrews that might well need a new home soon. A fine (elegant 'non-gothik') case too. If what you want is as small as this*, please e-mail me.

* Great CC-f (54 notes) 16 (13 notes only) 8 8 b/t 8 4 2 III

Swell Tenor C -d (41 notes) 16 8 8 4 8 (Hautbois)

Pedal CCC-c (25 notes) 16

Swell to Great and Great to Pedal

P.