Mander Organ Builders Forum

The King's Legacy

Jeremy Jones

Found this on Flickr.

And, more completely, but less legibly, this.

I was going to mention Richard Popplewell and [Professor] Hugh McLean, but happily the photo in the link does that for me. For what its worth, Philip Ledger (b.1937) and Lucian Nethsingha (b.1936) - contemporaries of Simon Preston (b. 1938) - read music at King's, but didn't hold the organ scholarship.

David Liddle and Ian Hare are both former King's organ scholars. Wasn't John Bertalot, too? Daniel Hyde, now director of music at Jesus, gave a brilliant recital (Bach, Mendelssohn and Wammes) at the Klosterkirche, Steinfeld as part of the IAO congress last week.

The list for John's would include:

John Scott

Adrian Lucas

David Hill

Stephen Cleobury

David Lumsden

Brian Runnett

Jonathan Bielby

Andrew Lumsden

Andrew Nethsinga

Philip Scriven

Iain Farrington

Robert Houssart

George Guest was the first organ student (1947). A list - complete to 1994 - appears in his book 'A Guest at Cambridge' (Paraclete Press 1994)

..... and Ian Hare are both former King's organ scholars. Wasn't John Bertalot, too?

No. Lincoln College, Oxford, then Corpus Christi, Cambridge

For what its worth, Philip Ledger (b.1937) and Lucian Nethsingha (b.1936) - contemporaries of Simon Preston (b. 1938) - read music at King's....

Incidentally, many happy returns to Lucian Nethsingha who's 71 today.

• 5 months later...

John Scott

Adrian Lucas

David Hill

Stephen Cleobury

David Lumsden

Brian Runnett

Jonathan Bielby

Andrew Lumsden

Andrew Nethsinga

Philip Scriven

Iain Farrington

Robert Houssart

Just for the record, Sir David Lumsden was Organ Scholar at SELWYN College, where he is now an Honorary Fellow.

David Liddle and Ian Hare are both former King's organ scholars. Wasn't John Bertalot, too? Daniel Hyde, now director of music at Jesus, gave a brilliant recital (Bach, Mendelssohn and Wammes) at the Klosterkirche, Steinfeld as part of the IAO congress last week.

John Scott

Adrian Lucas

David Hill

Stephen Cleobury

David Lumsden

Brian Runnett

Jonathan Bielby

Andrew Lumsden

Andrew Nethsinga

Philip Scriven

Iain Farrington

Robert Houssart

..... and Jonathan Rennert

JS

It is so nice to hear Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford mentioned in these pages. It has a particular interest for me as my dear son has just been accepted into the cathedral choir, starting in September 2008.

It would seem that he is about to embark on a musical career (did he but know it) sharing the history of some of the country's finest musicians.

I am just about the proudest dad in the world, at the moment!!

It is so nice to hear Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford mentioned in these pages. It has a particular interest for me as my dear son has just been accepted into the cathedral choir, starting in September 2008.

It would seem that he is about to embark on a musical career (did he but know it) sharing the history of some of the country's finest musicians.

I am just about the proudest dad in the world, at the moment!!

Congratulations! :)

Congratulations! :)

Happy for you.. what a way for your son to start out in life!

My son was a cathedral chorister (Lichfield) and it has given him several skills which I strongly expect will last a lifetime, notably how to use his time productively and an appreciation of the meaning of excellence (in anything). I had not enjoyed my choir school days, and made no secret of the fact, so right from the start we promised him that regardless of rules etc. if he was ever unhappy we would take him away the same day, no questions asked. He was glad to be told this and, actually (he being a great deal better with people than I am) this 'plan B' was never needed for a second.

Indeed, far from tears when dropped off at school, we sometimes had tears when we picked him up; he made such strong friendships in that place.

Thank you all for your good wishes regarding my son and Christ Church Cathedral Oxford. I am utterly confident that he couldn't have a better start in his musical life, and the manifold messages of congratulations (both public and private) have been wonderfully heartwarming. The staff at the Cathedral and the School have been SO very welcoming and accomodating. The Cathedral may be perhaps one of the smallest in the UK, but the welcome and the friendliness from everyone within is the biggest in the world!

Incidentally, I had no idea that there were so many 'old boys' contributing to this August list.

Thank you all so much once again!

• 11 years later...

John Langdon (King’s Organ Scholar 1961-64) moved to Glasgow in 1968 and spent the rest of his life there as an accompanist, organist, harpsichordist, and lecturer at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama. It was rumoured that David Willcocks had said that Langdon had been his best organ scholar, and those of us who saw him in action on a weekly basis were happy to believe this. Just this week, I’ve had that rumour confirmed by Adrian Partington (also a former King’s organ scholar). He may not have been as famous as Preston or Davis, but if you want to know who set the bar for extraordinary keyboard skills, it was John Langdon, a bona fide genius who combined miraculous brilliance with true humility. He died in November 2018.