Mander Organ Builders Forum

Never Fiddle With The Transposer

John Sayer

Many of us may have come to grief with the gadgetry on electronic organs.  This poor chap did so in a big way!

Hallelujah!

or, if that doesn't work

http://vac.antville.org/static/vac/files/alleluja.mp3

What a hoot!

JS

A similar (if less ghastly) thing happened to me one Sunday morning - late night Saturday etc. and I went into simultaneous transpose mode for the playover of the first hymn. I completely disregarded the key signature and most accidentals till I reached verse one - it was all a bit atonal really. The playover gave no hint whatsoever as to what the congregation and choir were about to sing next. They were all very understanding however. (I did once hear Arthur Wills do a similar thing with a final hymn at Ely - the playover to the tune 'Orientis Partibus' was on some loud reed or other, pretty spicy and at the end of the hymn he launched straight into his even more spicy Carillon on the same theme.)

AJJ

A similar (if less ghastly) thing happened to me one Sunday morning - late night Saturday etc. and I went into simultaneous transpose mode for the playover of the first hymn. I completely disregarded the key signature and most accidentals till I reached verse one - it was all a bit atonal really. The playover gave no hint whatsoever as to what the congregation and choir were about to sing next. They were all very understanding however. (I did once hear Arthur Wills do a similar thing with a final hymn at Ely - the playover to the tune 'Orientis Partibus' was on some loud reed or other, pretty spicy and at the end of the hymn he launched straight into his even more spicy Carillon on the same theme.)

AJJ

I had an awful experience for my first wedding at my previous church. The organ was a Wyvern toaster...

I started playing the 2nd hymn, and my feet seemed to be all over the place - just couldn't get a note right... by the 3rd verse (Praise my soul) of staring at my feet, I finally twigged that it wasn't me. The pedal board was transposing by itself. The bottom octave was a down a tone, the rest was up a 3rd! A quick power cycle, and all was rectified. Never happened again.