Mander Organ Builders Forum

St. (john) Chrysostom, Manchester

Dalua

This church contains a delightful 1906 Hill organ, built to replace the original instrument lost in a fire in 1904. Those interested might wish to gaze on this

I'm trying to find out some details of the original organ, which was probably installed 1874-6 or so, when the church was first built.

I've been in touch with the British Organ Archive, and we are also having a look at old parish records, but so far without success.

I thought I'd ask the company here assembled on the off-chance that anyone either knows anything about this, or has ideas on how to find out anything.

Any thoughts or information would be welcomed!

Thanks

Dalua

This church contains a delightful 1906 Hill organ, built to replace the original instrument lost in a fire in 1904. Those interested might wish to gaze on  this

I'm trying to find out some details of the original organ, which was probably installed 1874-6 or so, when the church was first built.

I've been in touch with the British Organ Archive, and we are also having a look at old parish records, but so far without success.

I thought I'd ask the company here assembled on the off-chance that anyone either knows anything about this, or has ideas on how to find out anything.

Any thoughts or information would be welcomed!

Thanks

Dalua

Nick Thistlethwaite is your man.

I cannot help you with the previous organ, but the one you have

could well be a gem. A 99% original 1906 organ from a well-known

firm, this is not something that easy to find.

I wish it a long life.

Pierre

Hi

NPOR has a listing for the Hill, and it's been awarded a Historic Organ Certificate - sadly though, nothing whatsoever about an earlier organ - if anyone has info, please let NPOR know!

Every Blessing

Tony

Many thanks for your replies!

What would be the best way to get in touch with Mr. (Dr.?) Thistlethwaite?

The organ is a remarkable one, quite umolested, and in good 1906 voice as far as one can tell. Despite its modest disposition, it was clearly carefully designed for the largish building.

My interest in its predecessor is based on a wish to write a brief historical pamphlet on the history of the organs in the church, partly for the delight of the Local History group.

Many thanks for your replies!

What would be the best way to get in touch with Mr. (Dr.?) Thistlethwaite?

The organ is a remarkable one, quite umolested, and in good 1906 voice as far as one can tell. Despite its modest disposition, it was clearly carefully designed for the largish building.

My interest in its predecessor is based on a wish to write a brief historical pamphlet on the history of the organs in the church, partly for the delight of the Local History group.

Try this -

precentor@guildford-cathedral.org

AJJ