Mander Organ Builders Forum

Hymn Books And Psalters

bourdon basher

I think we tend to stay liking what we were taught. I learnt the psalms (at Christ Church under Sydney Watson) using the SPCK's The Psalter Newly Pointed (1925), and still prefer that book to any other. The pointing in this book and the way we sang it were both entirely based on speech rhythm. However, the pointing tended very much, but without being slavish, to the "one note one syllable at the end of the line" style - explicitly respecting the development of anglican chant from plainchant, which of course we also sang that way.

In practice this means that the pointing is actually quite similar to The Cathedral Psalter, though completely different in the way it is described, printed and sung.

By contrast, books like The Oxford Psalter sometimes put so many syllables to a note that it feels (to me) that there are several reciting notes in turn.

Paul

I must say that this isn’t a style of pointing that I familiar with.

He hath not hid his face from him but when he called | unto him. He | heard him

I’d be interested to see and hear how you’d point that text.

===========

Oh dear!

He hath not hid his face from him, but when he / called unto / him. He/heard him.

(2nd half of chant)

Speech rhythms ma dears, if you please.

MM

===========

Oh dear!

He hath not hid his face from him, but when he / called unto / him. He/heard him.

(2nd half of chant)

Speech rhythms ma dears, if you please.

MM

I just glanced at this thread briefly (this morning) and wrote a quick reply. Speech rhythms are the way to go. I personally don’t think The Oxford Psalter has the best pointing out there.

:rolleyes: