Mander Organ Builders Forum

General And Divisional Pistons

Westgate Morris

Even your strict purist jobs abroad practically always have them ...

I have just come back from Holland, where I've heard eleven instruments with not a single piston between 'em. Played eight of the beggars, too :unsure:

Any serious playing involves registrants - preferably one on each side on the larger instruments. Must make improvisation interesting.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just come back from Holland, where I've heard eleven instruments with not a single piston between 'em. Played eight of the beggars, too :unsure:

Any serious playing involves registrants - preferably one on each side on the larger instruments. Must make improvisation interesting.

Yes, I too was wondering what PD meant - I've just done a similar trip to France and seen somewhere in the region of 15 organs, not one of which had any - even the non-purist one. Actually, that's a lie. Thann had four generals, but then it is a 4 manual romantic job described by its builder as "the beast", so I think we can except that.

Place them below the bass and treble ends of Swell and Great, and if possible duplicate the whole lot on both sides of the console. This makes them so much more likely to be convenient to reach.

I'd argue for the bass end only. It's far easier to do something with your left hand than your right. Christchurch Priory has some both sides and I am led to understand that the treble end ones are virtually never used.

As luck would have it I just came across these two clips on YouTube which address this issue quite nicely.

While I suspect that these two improvisations had probably been rehearsed before being recorded it does show what can be done given registrants who know the instrument and understand your style of playing.

Guest Cynic
Yes, I too was wondering what PD meant* - I've just done a similar trip to France and seen somewhere in the region of 15 organs, not one of which had any - even the non-purist one. Actually, that's a lie. Thann had four generals, but then it is a 4 manual romantic job described by its builder as "the beast", so I think we can except that.

I'd argue for the bass end only. It's far easier to do something with your left hand than your right. Christchurch Priory has some both sides and I am led to understand that the treble end ones are virtually never used.

*I was referring to a practically general adoption of general pistons on new organs.

Obviously I was not suggesting that practically every old organ has general pistons. That would be as far adrift in Europe as it would be here.

QUOTE(Nick Bennett @ Apr 22 2007, 11:52 PM) *

I have just come back from Holland, where I've heard eleven instruments with not a single piston between 'em. Played eight of the beggars, too smile.gif

At the Haarlem Improvisation contest, they provide two specialized registrants, one is usually the official "city registrant". And they are very capable! Understanding in several languages what you are wanting them to do, no matter if calling for details ("Bovenwerk Principaal off!") or more general orders ("Foundations on Rugpositiv!", "slow general crescendo!"). They are at least necessary for smaller people who would not be able to reach the outer drawknobs - this can happen on nearly every large baroque instrument of the Netherlands and Northern Germany.

As luck would have it I just came across these two clips on YouTube which address this issue quite nicely.

While I suspect that these two improvisations had probably been rehearsed before being recorded it does show what can be done given registrants who know the instrument and understand your style of playing.

These improvisations have definitely not been rehearsed! The whole scene perfectly resembles the typical organ visit! One visitor plays, the local organist or other well-meaning people pull stops, the first one perhaps to present beautiful colors (and probably cancelling some reed stops when discovering that tuning has happened too long ago...) or to reduce the volume originally selected by the player, to relieve the people who are around in the church..., the latter one just to browse through the specification. Anybody responsible for an attractive instrument remembers scenes like this one on the video... More or less poor music, playing and registration, but great joy among the visitors, at least for the player...

At the Minster, the general pistons are split between the treble ends of the GO and Swell keyslips. I have always found this quite convenient and would not wish to have them re-located to the bass end (or duplicated there, for that matter).

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
At the Minster, the general pistons are split between the treble ends of the GO and Swell keyslips. I have always found this quite convenient and would not wish to have them re-located to the bass end (or duplluicated there, for that matter).

or even duplicated! ;)

At the Minster, the general pistons are split between the treble ends of the GO and Swell keyslips. I have always found this quite convenient and would not wish to have them re-located to the bass end (or duplicated there, for that matter).

Yes, I'd forgotten yours, but I've always cursed them because I either have to reach right across with my left hand, or take the right hand away. Except for the last occasion, when your boss and I did the Christmas Oratorio as a duet, him on chamades most of the way through and keeping up a steady stream of highly sarcastic humour. Your fortuitous arrival in time to play harmonics of 32' on the last chord could not have been better timed. The recording sounds quite remarkable! Would you like a copy?

Yes, I'd forgotten yours, but I've always cursed them because I either have to reach right across with my left hand, or take the right hand away. Except for the last occasion, when your boss and I did the Christmas Oratorio as a duet, him on chamades most of the way through and keeping up a steady stream of highly sarcastic humour. Your fortuitous arrival in time to play harmonics of 32' on the last chord could not have been better timed. The recording sounds quite remarkable! Would you like a copy?

Yes please!

Even though I only arrived in time for the last two or three pages, I though that it was a hoot - DG really is good value for money.

Interestingly, although (especially during full practices) he seems concerned that I will use the chamades (at all), I would like to point out that I would have been far more restrained.... B)

or even duplicated! ;)

Huh!

.... and how often, pray, do you spot mistakes or incorrect syntax in my posts?

The truth is, the school intranet is so slow today, I was not able to wait for the edit facility to open - I had to go and teach.

I am sure that I could find plenty of mistakes elsewhere.... ;)

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
Yes please!

Even though I only arrived in time for the last two or three pages, I though that it was a hoot - DG really is good value for money.

Interestingly, although (especially during full practices) he seems concerned that I will use the chamades (at all), I would like to point out that I would have been far more restrained.... ;)

Huh!

.... and how often, pray, do you spot mistakes or incorrect syntax in my posts?

The truth is, the school intranet is so slow today, I was not able to wait for the edit facility to open - I had to go and teach.

I am sure that I could find plenty of mistakes elsewhere.... B)

Or even the internet.... :D:D

Sorry - honest!! ;)

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
Nope, within the organisation it's an intranet.

I suppose that I should have known that, but didn't. Apologies.

But an organisation's connection to the outside world is via the internet. so our psalmist is quite correct.

Sorry, just getting my anorak...

Thanks Vox! Having grovelled suitably, the same thought occured to me.

Or even the internet.... B);)

Sorry - honest!! ;)

No - I was using the school system, which routes me through their intranet first.

But an organisation's connection to the outside world is via the internet. so our psalmist is quite correct.

Sorry, just getting my anorak...

No he is not, Vox. I have to use the intranet system first, before my posts are sent to the Mander Board. It was the school system which was running slower that I have ever remembered - not the internet. This is due to two things: firstly, there was an unexpectedly high volume of traffic in school today (with reference to 'net activity) and, secondly, everything first passes through the office of our computer manager - who then vets every word or picture for inappropriate conduct or content.

Perhaps we could return to discussing organs - instead of who owns the sexiest anorak....

Technically, he's accessing this fascinating exchange via his school intranet which provides him with access to the public internet on which the Board is situated. The bottleneck could be either on the intra- or the inter- net, and is quite likely to be the former.

I take it this person doesn't like Tubas then?

Actually, I think that he is more worried about dodgy pictures....

I am quite certain that he would not know a Harrison Tuba if it hit him between the eyes.

Technically, he's accessing this fascinating exchange via his school intranet which provides him with access to the public internet on which the Board is situated. The bottleneck could be either on the intra- or the inter- net, and is quite likely to be the former.

Well, quite.

Guest Psalm 78 v.67

Look - I apologize for starting this; it was an ill-informed spur-of-the-moment attempt at humour that backfired, doing nothing but show my ignorance.

(My excuse is that being self-employed, with one PC with internet access, I have never come into contact with Intranet. I know now, and will keep any "humour" to myself in future).

Look - I apologize for starting this; it was an ill-informed spur-of-the-moment attempt at humour that backfired, doing nothing but show my ignorance.

(My excuse is that being self-employed, with one PC with internet access, I have never come into contact with Intranet. I know now, and will keep any "humour" to myself in future).

Oh, don't be like that!!!!

It's far easier to do something with your left hand than your right.

Ooh err! How very dare you!

It seems to me that general pistons are, as a matter of course, placed where they're most difficult to reach on british organs. By contrast (luckily, as it's all that matters) the "advance" toe-piston for the stepper/sequencer system is placed in the most accessible position. I would find general pistons on the right-hand end of the key-slips to be a chocolate tea-pot, but I guess its mainly a question of what you're used to.

Please do not trouble yourself - I was probably a little more irascible than usual as the result of having just received my driving licence back with a number of penalty points added. (The camera was up a hill, disguised in the back of something resembling a small builder's van. Personally I do not think that, under the circumstances, eight miles an hour over the limit constitutes a serious crime - particularly on a stretch of road where I cannot recall there having been any accidents whatsoever for at least ten years. Cynically, I am certain this is simply an easy revenue-collecting subterfuge.)

Anyway, that was probably why I was annoyed!

;)

... It's far easier to do something with your left hand than your right. ...

Ooh err! How very dare you!

Oh God.

I was probably a little more irascible than usual as the result of having just received my driving licence back with a number of penalty points added.
A general pistoff feeling, then?

The Dorset traffic police always were noted for being particularly unsociable. Look on the bright side: at least you got your licence back.

A general pistoff feeling, then?

The Dorset traffic police always were noted for being particularly unsociable. Look on the bright side: at least you got your licence back.

I suppose there is that, Vox.

Ah well - I am also taking solace in the fact that this year, for the Dorset Police Carol Service (held in the Minster), I shall put a little extra on the fee....

.... about £120.00 extra, in fact.

:unsure: