Mander Organ Builders Forum

General And Divisional Pistons

Westgate Morris

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Pierre Cochereau do some home-made electrics at Notre Dame?

No - certainly not tonally. Jean Hermann and (after his death) Robert Boisseau had the care of the instrument and carried-out virtually everything which Cochereau desired.

He had a five-clavier house organ. I believe that he did undertake some work on this instrument.

However, at Nôtre-Dame, he did instigate a series of alterations and additions (and, of course, a major rebuild and enlargement). From the inception of the work (in early 1963) until the early 1980s, barely a month passed without some stop being tweaked, a rank added or revised or something being revoiced.

"Actually, I was caught twice - three days apart..........."

Unlucky indeed - what speed were you doing on the second occasion?

G

Forty-one.

Whilst I accept that this is clearly over the limit and I should have been more careful, I should have thought that they could have issued a warning. Particularly when one considers how many quite serious offenders receive little more than a slap on the wrist and a fine for some non-motoring offences.

Ah well - speeding motorists are an easy target; much more so than dealing with burglars or nasty vandals.... It also helps to keep the conviction rates looking impressive and councillors happy - unless, of course, they happen to live in a street with a speed camera.

Cynical - me?

Damn right.

I believe it was in situations like this that Princess Margaret used to say "I'm sure you must be very pleased with it."

I wonder if she ever said that to Roddy Llewellyn....

<_<

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
No - certainly not tonally. Jean Hermann and (after his death) Robert Boisseau had the care of the instrument and carried-out virtually everything which Cochereau desired.

He had a five-clavier house organ. I believe that he did undertake some work on this instrument.

However, at Nôtre-Dame, he did instigate a series of alterations and additions (and, of course, a major rebuild and enlargement). From the inception of the work (in early 1963) until the early 1980s, barely a month passed without some stop being tweaked, a rank added or revised or something being revoiced.

This is what I had in mind; photo on page......... http://www.david-briggs.org.uk/gallery2.php

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
Oh - you mean the wires and other items on top!

Yes - he may even have rigged-up his 'traffic lights'.

I thought for a minute you had meant the actual console electrics.

Going from memory, I recalled the phrase "seven stops prepared for by Cochereau" and took it literally. Wrong again obviously - why don't I just keep quiet?! <_<

On the basis of "wires and things on top" I've done some console electrics - bought a new Anglepoise lamp once and put it in place, and plugged it in myself! :)

Going from memory, I recalled the phrase "seven stops prepared for by Cochereau" and took it literally. Wrong again obviously - why don't I just keep quiet?! <_<

Pray do not beat yourself up - the original phrasing lent itself to be mis-construed.