Mander Organ Builders Forum

Thankyou To Manders' Staff!

Guest Cynic

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk

I am sure I speak for many others when I say that this (unintentional) break has reminded me forcibly what a wonderful forum this is - even if it is only a 'virtual life' airing potentially pointless and petty questions with largely unknown 'virtual friends' for some of us!!

A sincere thankyou to all on Manders' staff for getting us 'back on' and for maintaining such a valuable service; lots of us now know where we would be without you!

Yes - I would heartily concur with the sentiments of my colleagues!

Mr. Mander, sincere thanks for restoring the board so promptly - I am most grateful! I, too, had missed it considerably - it was almost like losing a friend.... and then finding that after all, I had not.

:lol:

With every good wish,

Sean Tucker

Yes - I would heartily concur with the sentiments of my colleagues!

Mr. Mander, sincere thanks for restoring the board so promptly - I am most grateful! I, too, had missed it considerably - it was almost like losing a friend.... and then finding that after all, I had not.

With every good wish,

Sean Tucker

I agree wholeheartedly! - Was this punishment from the RCO?!!! (Joking of course!!)

Neil

Guest Geoff McMahon

Thanks, guys - we've missed you too!!!

We are asking Invision to upgrade the board to a more secure version.

Webmaster

Mander Organs

Guest Geoff McMahon
This is excellent news!

Please do not think me greedy - but is there any chance of them enabling the avatar feature at the same time, please?

Certainly, we'll look at this. In the meantime, I would be glad to know what other participants think of avatars - size, whether or not animated, etc.

Webmaster

Mander Organs

Since you mention it, M. Cochereau (and at the risk of starting a wish-list landslide), it would also be great if Invision could enable a facility to attach Word, Excel and jpg files - though I appreciate that this would very much depend on the server space available.

Guest Geoff McMahon
Since you mention it, M. Cochereau (and at the risk of starting a wish-list landslide), it would also be great if Invision could enable a facility to attach Word, Excel and jpg files - though I appreciate that this would very much depend on the server space available.

Invision Power Boards (like this one) do have those features but we deliberately disabled them at the outset because of the risk of viruses, trojans, etc. To protect ourselves - and the participants who might not all be running the latest version of their anti-virus software - we would probably have to scan every uploaded file BEFORE making it available. That of course has a time-cost ...

Webmaster

Mander Organs

Invision Power Boards (like this one) do have those features but we deliberately disabled them at the outset because of the risk of viruses, trojans, etc.  To protect ourselves - and the participants who might not all be running the latest version of their anti-virus software - we would probably have to scan every uploaded file BEFORE making it available.  That of course has a time-cost ...

Webmaster

Mander Organs

Fair enough - and I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

Certainly, we'll look at this. In the meantime, I would be glad to know what other participants think of avatars - size, whether or not animated, etc.

Webmaster

Mander Organs

I quite like avatars, so long as they are not too big (because big ones mean a lot of wasted space on the page when a post is only a one- or two-liner). Other forums I have frequented have limited them to 80x80 pixels which seems ample. Personally I do not like animated avatars, but of course I'd be happy to go along with the majority verdict.

Well spotted! At some point, we will reinstate the Mander "branding".

I would personally welcome this - it was both stylish and distinctive.

I quite like avatars, so long as they are not too big (because big ones mean a lot of wasted space on the page when a post is only a one- or two-liner). Other forums I have frequented have limited them to 80x80 pixels which seems ample. Personally I do not like animated avatars, but of course I'd be happy to go along with the majority verdict.

I quite fancy a cute pony.

(No, I meant as an avatar....)

Webmaster

Mander Organs

yes to avatars but please no animated avatars - they are a real distraction on the eye.

The new forum looks good! When you re-instate the branding, could you leave out that background image? Sometimes less is more... especially so with website page design.

Well done to get it sorted.

Guest Geoff McMahon
... didn't we used to have an option to select different font colours? It seems a shame to lose that.

I am sure that that option is in here somewhere (I see a "text color" button, the underlined A in the composition screen) but perhaps it won't work until we have also upgraded the PHP to 4.3.0 or higher (I am going to request that tomorrow).

Webmaster

Mander Organs