Mander Organ Builders Forum

Today I Played

Davidb

Ok, idea for a new topic, especially with the season so nearly upon us.

Simply post the voluntaries that you used/are going to use at recent services and, if you want, your reason for selecting it.

I'll start off with this Sunday i'm playing:

Morning Service (With Choir)

Toccata on Veni Emmanuel - Andrew Carter

Evening Service (Replacing the carol service with the four last words)

Requieum Aternum from Pieces De Fantasie - Vierne

THe last word is Hell... which sort of explains.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andrew Butler

Excellent topic. Had actually thought of it myself, but as my topic a while back about a composite recital programme fell flat, I didn't bother. Good luck!

Advent 1:

Prelude: Melismata Variations - Richard Proulx (In "The Organist's Liturgical Year", Mayhew; variations on "Remember, O thou man")

Communion: Conditor alme siderum, 2nd verset - Titelouze

Postlude: Conditor alme siderum, 1st verset - Titelouze

Reasons for latter 2 should be self explanatory

I was asked to play "March of the women" by Dame Ethel Smythe last Sunday, but had to decline on the grounds that I don't know the piece and don't have a copy. Have I missed out on something? So I stuck with Guilmant March on a Theme by Handel (Lift up your hears) which is my standard fare for Christ the King.

Guest Paul Isom

On Sunday oi' ave bin playin'

SUNDAY (Mornin')

BEFORE: Esperance - Movement II from Symphonie in Si minuer par Camille Jacquemin

AFTER: Charite - Movement III from Symphonie in Si minuer par Camille Jacquemin

SUNDAY (Evenin')

Improptu No 2 - Sydney Nicholson

Sorry - the yokel in me got the better of the spelling!

On Sunday oi' ave bin playin'

SUNDAY (Mornin')

BEFORE: Esperance - Movement II from Symphonie in Si mineur par Camille Jacquemin

AFTER: Charite - Movement III from Symphonie in Si minueur par Camille Jacquemin

SUNDAY (Evenin')

Impromptu No 2 - Sydney Nicholson

Last Sunday morning:

Before: Bach Pastorale

Communion: Durufle Chant Donne (courtesy of recommendation on this board from the lamented Mr Farr)

After: Bach C Major Prelude (the short one - can't remember if it is BWV531 or 545)

Next Sunday:

Having it off

:unsure:

How on earth did you manage to get a holiday on Advent Sunday?

(At least, I assume that this is what you mean....)

Yes of course B)

I'm away on business - actually sorry to be missing Advent Sunday - all my favourite hymns :unsure:

Could you please tell me, out of interest, what Willis' have been doing to the instrument?

Hi

The organ is aving a complete, ground-up restoration - re-leathering, soundboard reconstructed, pipework overhauled and put back on speech properly, and the Keralopnon that supplanted the original Stopped Diapason Treble - probably in the 1870's - has been cut down, stoppered and revoiced to become a Stopped Diapason - so we'll have a usable Flute stop at last, as well as the key "Diapasons" registration for the Early English repertoire.

It's a chamber organ from c.1820 - GG compass keyboard and a C-compass pedalboard (pull downs arranged as a return coupler). More details on NPOR http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=E00285

The work has overrun somewhat - but hopefully we should have the organ back at the end of next week or the beginning of the week after.

We're hoping to arrange a celebration recital next Spring - I'll post details once we've got something booked.

Every Blessing

Tony

Last Sunday morning:

Before: Bach Pastorale

Communion: Durufle Chant Donne (courtesy of recommendation on this board from the lamented Mr Farr)

After: Bach C Major Prelude (the short one - can't remember if it is BWV531 or 545)

Next Sunday:

Having it off

B)

"The lamented Mr Farr"?

I assume you refer to my namesake of Guildford. What has happened?

Rgds,

MJF

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
I must have missed this - shame really as he wrote a lot of sense!

AJJ

Absolutely. Maybe someone will pass our good wishes on?

Oh dear! Not having read the Virgil Fox thread - no interest in his particular form of artistry - I wasn't aware what had happened. I wholeheartedly concur with comments above - Stephen's words of wisdom will, I'm sure, be missed.

Back to thread. Played the postlude at my church last Sunday - the Final from Widor's Symphonie Romane. (Not playing full services - joined congregation only recently, playing by invitation, but not at present organist in an official capacity.)

Rgds

MJF

am Bach Nun Komm 659; Vierne Clair de Lune (during lighting of candles for commem of faithful departed) - just love this on our FW harmonic flutes; Vierne Toccata Bb - sort of cheerful/sombre and I've meant to learn it for ages.

pm Vierne symph v/1 (as lead in to a darkness to light opening for advent service based round Messiah pt 1); Walther Nun danket (as prelude to the hymn); Vetter Fughette on Nun komm (more lighting of candles - Pastoral Symphony wasn't long enough); Reger Wachet Auf Op 52/2 (Intro & Fugue) - someone on this board suggested it and I dusted it off.

I should say we aren't a 'high' church but we do like to have a go occasionally!

AM - impro on advent prose, Bach Schubler 2, Adagio from TA&F in C, 4 hymn extensions (congregational processions), another impro on advent chorale (forgotten which) and Bach trio 6

PM - nun komm 659 then the boss did 660 after. Impros in middle (choir processions ending on notes for anthem) all based on plainsong themes, and after on a fugue subject the boss played just before sliding off the bench...

I love me organ... it sounded more like St Sulpice tonight than I have got it to manage before - the old Gt Doubles and Sw Oboe trick again...

"Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming" (Young)

Improv on Veni Emmanuel to get them out the doors

Now that California temperatures have dropped from their summer heights, the organ has settled into a decent A-440 on most mornings (it gets as high as A-447 in the summer :) )