Mander Organ Builders Forum

British Romantic Stops

Pierre Lauwers

At least, some MP3s samples are becoming available from these splendid

british romantic voices I used to cross the Channel with a Moped -not under the water

though (halas?), nor upon it!- when I was young to discover them.

Thanks to our well-known friend Paul Derrett we can listen to two examples.

Let us commence with the king, a genuine, proper TUBA:

http://www.walckerorgel.de/gewalcker.de/De...20-%20Paean.mp3

And then a thing I use to name "a Cornet Avatar", "Avatar" being a form, something to be compared with Wagner's Leitmotives, something that's still there but that you do not recognize as such immediately.

The romantic builders used often soft mixtures with tierce ranks. Here is a "Kalophone", made up from a 8' Gamba with a kind of Cornet. The result is quite close to the german "Harmonia aetherea":

http://www.walckerorgel.de/gewalcker.de/De...20Chromorne.mp3

Pierre

Let us commence with the king, a genuine, proper TUBA:

Pierre

I have no wish to cross swords with anyone, but I remain completely mystified by the attraction of a sound that seems to me to belong in the cinema or stuck to the front of a train than in a musical instrument. It's vulgar in the extreme on an instrument that is supposed to be about subtlety of nuance and colour.

Of especial interest to Pierre would be the Grand Chorus CD with RAM players on a wide variety of representative English organs. I have placed a short extract of one of these tracks at this location, to entice you into buying the whole 2-disc set:

Deptford organ

Now there's a truly exciting and musical sound that we ought to get worked up about preserving!

Wow, what an organ! What a Tuba too, it sounds wonderful! Where was this audio clip recorded?

- Nathan

Downside Abbey (Compton).

This Deptford organ is interesting too, David.

http://www.btinternet.com/~william.drake/Deptford.htm

And of course any Smith, Harris, England etc would be too, and G...., well,

even in the baroque period there are taboos!

Here we talk about romantic stops. Why not open a thread about baroque british

stops?

(OK I just did)

All periods are interesting and worth preserving; pitting one against the other was just the reason

we nearly lost.....All! (true in all areas, not only in Britain!)

Pierre

Guest delvin146
I have no wish to cross swords with anyone, but I remain completely mystified by the attraction of a sound that seems to me to belong in the cinema or stuck to the front of a train than in a musical instrument. It's vulgar in the extreme on an instrument that is supposed to be about subtlety of nuance and colour.

Of especial interest to Pierre would be the Grand Chorus CD with RAM players on a wide variety of representative English organs. I have placed a short extract of one of these tracks at this location, to entice you into buying the whole 2-disc set:

Deptford organ

Now there's a truly exciting and musical sound that we ought to get worked up about preserving!

The organ might be worth preserving, what about the new vicar? :o

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
The organ might be worth preserving, what about the new vicar? :o

Go on then....

don't leave us gasping for gossip!

Quentin and Tony apart, I don't think any of God's Chosen Hit Squad visit this site very often.

Deptford organ

'an instrument that is supposed to be about subtlety of nuance and colour'

Really? According to whom? :blink:

The Downside Compton is a treasure. And what a great piece! Who wrote it?

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
'an instrument that is supposed to be about subtlety of nuance and colour'

Really? According to whom? :blink:

The Downside Compton is a treasure. And what a great piece! Who wrote it?

It's Paean by Arnold Bax.

If you want a copy, I have it.

• 2 weeks later...