Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worcester - You May Not Believe This

pcnd5584

After being successful in consigning a perfectly good, restorable organ to the scrap heap, I note that Adrian Lucas is off to seek pastures new - leaving his successor to manage the new organ project.

What a pity that the timing appears to have worked out so unfortunately. It may be that the new organist actually liked the previous organ.

Sadly, it is now far too late to do anything about it.

On the subject of moves, I further note that Malcolm Archer has regretfully tendered his notice at St. Paul's - partly due to family health issues.

In addition, the post of Director of Music at Liverpool Metropoltian Cathedral is also advertised. Apparently, there is a suggestion that a certain assistant (who plays on the country's most unspoiled FHW) has expressed serious interest - however, we shall see.

In the meantime, I cannot but ponder on the unfortunate irony of the timing of Mr. Lucas' departure from Worcester.

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
After being successful in consigning a perfectly good, restorable organ to the scrap heap, I note that Adrian Lucas is off to seek pastures new - leaving his successor to manage the new organ project.

Where is Adrian Lucas going?

Do tell.

Here we agree, Pcnd!

Warnings there have been enough, so that nobody will

be able to tell ".....That we did not know, what we did".

But we are humain beings; in a Philosophy book

("The skeleton Principle"), I wrote:

What really matters is not what is said, but who said it.

Pierre

Guest Andrew Butler

On the subject of moves, I further note that Malcolm Archer has regretfully tendered his notice at St. Paul's - partly due to family health issues.

Where can this info be found please? Nothing on St Paul's website, haven't looked at Worcester yet......

In addition, the post of Director of Music at Liverpool Metropoltian Cathedral is also advertised. Apparently, there is a suggestion that a certain assistant (who plays on the country's most unspoiled FHW) has expressed serious intent - however, we shall see.

The previous D of M at Liverpool Met didn't last long there. He hadn't been in post long when I noticed on their website that one of the Duffy Brothers (a fully paid up R.C.) was back in charge again there.

Sad to hear about Malcolm Archer leaving St Paul's though.

NS

Where can this info be found please? Nothing on St Paul's website, haven't looked at Worcester yet......

As yet, there is no written notification of either post. To avoid causing problems, for the moment would you be happy with 'an extremely reliable source'? I will reveal further details when I can.

B)

Here we agree, Pcnd!

Warnings there have been enough, so that nobody will

be able to tell ".....That we did not know, what we did".

But we are humain beings; in a Philosophy book

("The skeleton Principle"), I wrote:

What really matters is not what is said, but who said it.

Pierre

Absolutely, Pierre. I think that the whole situation is a shame - and extremely unfortunate. However, you know how much I liked the old Worcester organ.

Incidentally, I note that there appears to be a new flaw in the software of the board, inasmuch as it is apparently impossible for a contributor to quote two posts on the same thread, without each subsequent post being tacked onto the end of the previous submission.

Or is it just me?

:unsure:

Who do you think successors will be? I think Andy Lumsden may very well go to St. Paul's; Adrian Lucas may be resigning from Worcester to apply for the John's job, after all he was an organ scholar there.

Possibly - but personally, I think that I would have waited to be appointed before resigning. I have known even apparently 'cut and dried' situations to fall apart in certain circumstances.

Possibly - but personally, I think that I would have waited to be appointed before resigning. I have known even apparently 'cut and dried' situations to fall apart in certain circumstances.

If he did resign (Adrian Lucas), then that's a very brave move unless he was "asked" to apply for Johns.

If Andy does go to St Paul’s then Winchester will be up for grabs, another prime post.

Who do you think successors will be? I think Andy Lumsden may very well go to St. Paul's; Adrian Lucas may be resigning from Worcester to apply for the John's job, after all he was an organ scholar there.

I can imagine AndyL being tempted by Paul's, but it might be a bit soon for him - he's not been at Winchester all that long...

I can imagine AndyL being tempted by Paul's, but it might be a bit soon for him - he's not been at Winchester all that long...

Well four years, not a huge amount of time in the great scheme of things I guess.

Guest Andrew Butler
Well four years, not a huge amount of time in the great scheme of things I guess.

David Flood was only at Lincoln 2 years before going to Canterbury

If he did resign (Adrian Lucas), then that's a very brave move unless he was "asked" to apply for Johns.

I do not think that this was the case - particularly when one considers the other possible contenders, even considering the fact that Adrian Lucas is also an ex-John's organ scholar.

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
Mr Archer is going to Winchester College to be Director of Chapel Music. I have this from the Head in writing this morning.

I'm sure we all wish MA well. He'll certainly get a well-deserved rest-cure in a pleasant place.

Thinking on: I wonder if he'll have anything done about the beautifully finished but exceptionally sweet (even retiscent) Mander organ in the chapel. This was designed by Dr.Tolley more or less exclusively for choir accompaniment, though it and the (mechanical action) console stand the opposite end of the chapel from the choir stalls. It barely cuts single leaves of lettuce by comparison with its predecessor.

I also wish Malcolm Archer's eventual successor at St.Paul's the very best of luck. Several rumours have already emerged about goings-on there and it would seem that whoever is appointed there will need previous experience at lion-taming, dog-handling or ferrett-wrangling to go along with their gifts as a musician.

Malcolm Archer is a fine man and musician and St Paul's loss is most definitely Winchester College's gain. In between his stints at Bristol and Wells, Malcolm held a similiar post to the Winchester one at Clifton College in Bristol, so his new job will be a known quantity.

As for St Paul's, one name to consider is James O'Donnell. He appears to have survived the 'snakes in a sack' politics that comes with the job at the Abbey and, with his superb choir-training skills, would appear to have all the ideal qualifications for the St Paul's post.

Is it just me, or are the Organists and Master of the Choristers being appointed these days getting younger and younger?

Mr Archer is going to Winchester College to be Director of Chapel Music. I have this from the Head in writing this morning.

Now that IS a surprise. Blimey. We're doing well down here then, with Malcolm Archer going to Winchester and Stephen le Provost at Twyford School.

Now that IS a surprise. Blimey. We're doing well down here then, with Malcolm Archer going to Winchester and Stephen le Prevost at Twyford School.

Yes, let's just hope we keep Andy at the Cathedral as well.

I can quite understand why the great and the good are congregating round here, ever since Winchester was voted the best place to live in England on the telly...

I can quite understand why the great and the good are congregating round here, ever since Winchester was voted the best place to live in England on the telly...

Probably on account of being nice and close to Romsey, where we collect retired clergy.