Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Five Organ Recordings You Couldn't Live Without.

James Goldrick

Are there any recordings of the Rheinberger organ concertos available nowdays? I still have the vinyls of E Power Biggs' recordings.

Barry Williams

I know of at least 3 versions which appear to be currently available, the Naxos CD being a relatively recent release: the numbers are Naxos 8557787 : CLASSCD 252 : Mottette CD 40221.

BAC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Barry Williams
I know of at least 3 versions which appear to be currently available, the Naxos CD being a relatively recent release: the numbers are Naxos 8557787 : CLASSCD 252 : Mottette CD 40221.

BAC

Thank you for this. I am grateful.

Barry Williams

I've just been listening to one of Nigel Allcoat's CDs of the works of Pachelbel. Get them if you haven't heard them, all three are gems, but a question for Nigel, if he's reading this - are there to be any more? I was at a recital this week where the organist played the Toccata in D minor which is not on the CDs and I don't recall hearing it before, a marvellous piece. Nigel?

It is a great pity that none of Michael Smythe's recordings have been re-issued. Perhaps one of those enterprising people who re-master old recordings would consider this as a project, though it may not be economically viable. Mr Smythe published the whole of Rheinbeger's Sonatas at a time when their popularity was less than nowadays. His other recordings often introduced something unusual in the repertoire.

Robert Munns recorded John Cook's Fanfare (originally written for four brass bands at the Hampton Court Pageant) at Huddersfield Town Hall in 1968, when he restored the position of the fanfares to their position in the original score, rather than as in the organ transcription. 'Fanfare' is a fine piece unjustly neglected.

Are there any recordings of the Rheinberger organ concertos available nowdays? I still have the vinyls of E Power Biggs' recordings.

Barry Williams

Cook's Fanfare is also on Dame Gillian Weir's AlbertHall recording for Priory.

Pity we don't have such tubas here in NL :)