Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Beckerath At Marlborough College

riddler67

And so say all of us ... really good day out. Wonderful to hear and play such a superb instrument, and - echoing other posts - to meet the faces behind the names, real and adopted.

Thanks very much.

We were planning to go to Romsey but unfortunately couldn't make it...maybe another time?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, wish to add my voice of thanks to Tim and Ian for their kindness in hosting this meeting and I would urge anyone to hear and see the organ at the earliest opportunity. Bland it is not!

There was friendly and lively discussion and some very accomplished performances from forum members.

Where next ?

H

The idea of interested parties from this forum gathering occasionally to put a new instrument through its paces seems a very good one. BIOS does this sort of thing in its inimitable way, of course, but I think yesterday's more informal set-up seemed to work well too. [This time, the idea actually came from Marlborough.] Do we wait for invitations... do we try (as individuals) to offer ready-packaged days in our home areas off our own bats?

Ideas for the future....?

Oxford maybe when the Aubertin goes in?

AJJ

Oxford maybe when the Aubertin goes in?

AJJ

What an excellent idea!

Who has the right connections?

Go to it that man (or woman, of course)!!

I could quite possibly arrange something in this direction too - am going to Courtefontaine in April. There are plenty of good things to see in Oxford, including a neo-baroque Wilhelm Drake of 1975 should anyone fancy it!

I believe I heard that the chapel is not quite ready to receive its organ yet... so don't expect it to happen too quickly!

Thank you for all your kind comments about the visit yesterday to Marlborough College. Tim and I greatly enjoyed ourselves during the afternoon, and it was a real pleasure for both of us to hear other people putting the instrument through its paces. It was lovely to be able to walk around the Chapel as our guests performed and hear different colours. As was to be expected, there was some healthy debate about some aspects of the organ, but generally the tone seemed to be of approval of what Beckerath have achieved which was much to our relief.

Having heard some very fine performances during the afternoon, and it would not be fair to single out individuals, I feel inspired to go and do some practice!

If any of you happen to be planning to visit Marlborough in the future and want to have a look, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Ian Crabbe

Ian and Tim, may I add our thank you for a most memorable and enjoyable afternoon. As a one time organ student at MC it was a most revealing and fascinating experience to hear in such detail and see around the new instrument and to have it put so comprehensively through its paces by such a wealth of talented and knowledgable enthusiasts. Wandering around the familiar pews and gallery on Saturday afternoon was a stirring and at times most moving occasion. A rare treat indeed and a real privilege to have been in your company one and all. Once again congratulations Tim and Ian on a wonderful achievement and thank you MC for making it all possible. Peter, David and Diana Harris

Indeed you did. You also missed a golden opportunity to tell me how lightweight and insipid my BWV 544 sounded played on a single registration throughout. :o (It's true - it did! Would like to try it again using the Gt 16' and/or coupling another chorus though.)

Tsk! Tsk!

Unfortunately I was in Honiton, playing various pieces of music in order that the relative of a friend could choose the music for her wedding.

I am sorry that I missed your Bach, Vox. Still, at least you did not use the Tuba to highlight fugal entries ....

.... did you?

:rolleyes:

Tsk! Tsk!

Unfortunately I was in Honiton, playing various pieces of music in order that the relative of a friend could choose the music for her wedding.

I am sorry that I missed your Bach, Vox. Still, at least you did not use the Tuba to highlight fugal entries ....

.... did you?

He did not, and it was neither insipid or lightweight.

[We all enjoyed it very much.]

True:

Dear pcnd,

lots of people were looking out for you on Saturday: you must instruct your friends and relatives not to get married next time we have a gathering of the clan!

True:

Dear pcnd,

lots of people were looking out for you on Saturday: you must instruct your friends and relatives not to get married next time we have a gathering of the clan!

That is kind, Paul. I would very much have liked to have been there, too.

For the record, Vox described his own performances, thus - not I! :rolleyes:

Guest Andrew Butler

That'll teach me not to read a topic because I didn't think I'd be interested!

Just looked, to see what all the fuss was, concerning Marlborough, and realized what a day I missed through not knowing about it! :rolleyes:

Could something be arranged for this neck of the woods - Rochester.........DHM?? / Canterbury ? (Have always found David Flood very approachable and accomodating - he has more than once left me with his keys to lock the south transept door on leaving late at night)

That'll teach me not to read a topic because I didn't think I'd be interested!

Just looked, to see what all the fuss was, concerning Marlborough, and realized what a day I missed through not knowing about it! :o

Could something be arranged for this neck of the woods - Rochester.........DHM?? / Canterbury ? (Have always found David Flood very approachable and accomodating - he has more than once left me with his keys to lock the south transept door on leaving late at night)

Well, I suppose that locking-up a cathedral at night is vaguely exciting - but were you allowed to play the organ as well....?

Seriously, it is an interesting idea. :rolleyes:

Guest Andrew Butler
Well, I suppose that locking-up a cathedral at night is vaguely exciting - but were you allowed to play the organ as well....?

Many thanks for that vote of confidence - much appreciated - but you're too kind by half!

I think this thread has more or less now run its course, but I would like to say that one of the things that the afternoon emphasised for me is what a wealth of talent there is amongst members of this forum. I agree with Ian that it is not fair to single out anyone in particular, so I won't, but suffice it to say that there were some absolutely cracking performances that have not even been mentioned above.