Mander Organ Builders Forum

Jehan Alain

heva

On a German forum a question was raised on the death of Jehan Alain. Besides the known version of dying while in combat, there should exist a different version, stating that JA was suffering a mental breakdown and while shooting around wildly was shot by his fellow soldiers. Alain family has fought against such stories in court (succesfull), but it's bewildering me (not interested in gossip, but I consider the breakdown part not an impossibility for such a delicate personality).

Anybody here to tell something about this?

On a German forum a question was raised on the death of Jehan Alain. Besides the known version of dying while in combat, there should exist a different version, stating that JA was suffering a mental breakdown and while shooting around wildly was shot by his fellow soldiers. Alain family has fought against such stories in court (succesfull), but it's bewildering me (not interested in gossip, but I consider the breakdown part not an impossibility for such a delicate personality).

I was under the impression that he met an unpleasant death whilst on a motorbike after a wire had been strung across the road. I may be wrong. I'll look it up.

I was under the impression that he met an unpleasant death whilst on a motorbike after a wire had been strung across the road. I may be wrong. I'll look it up.

What I have read is that JA's end came while he was deployed as a motorbike dispatch rider in the French army at Le Petit-Puy between Angers and Chinon. He was intercepted by German forces advancing through the area, tried to escape back to French lines, and was shot.

I wonder if the most definite thing that can be said of JA's death is that the fact that it took place during the tumult and uncertainty of wartime has permitted the rise of a number of "myths", and that these may have been increased by the tragedy of such a gifted young composer being taken so young.

Rgds

MJF

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk

It has been stated that he was buried with full military honours. Surely that would not have happened unless the story about him taking on a German patrol single-handed were not true.

It has been stated that he was buried with full military honours. Surely that would not have happened unless the story about him taking on a German patrol single-handed were not true.

Since there seems to be general agreement that Alain was alone when he was killed, reports can surely only have come from nearby French civilians or the Germans involved in the action. In either case - but perhaps especially in the latter - they indicate at least level-headedness under fire, if not outright heroism.

Rgds

MJF