Mander Organ Builders Forum

All Saints, Northampton - New Chancel Organ

Guest Paul Isom

Guest Paul Isom

Does anyone know anything about the 'new' chancel organ that has been installed by Tickell. There are ads out about the organ, but sadly no details, spec - well anything. Hopefully it will be better than the rather spikey Walker at the west end......................

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
Does anyone know anything about the 'new' chancel organ that has been installed by Tickell. There are ads out about the organ, but sadly no details, spec - well anything. Hopefully it will be better than the rather spikey Walker at the west end......................

I believe that this is a second-hand romantic instrument. Michael Latham was looking around for a suitable instrument some time ago, he now works very closely with Kenneth Tickell which would explain why this is described as a Tickell installation. I am sure that it is by no means all new.

I know the Walker instrument in the west gallery a little* and consider it a throroughly respectable instrument for the job which it has to do - smaller than most, it makes an exciting sound and provides a pretty decent pallette of colours. Put it this way, I can think of a lot of worse organs from the period! The question that ought to be asked is why the J.W.Walker Chancel Organ 'gave out' quite so soon. Both instruments were (mechanically at least) brand new in only 1983.

*I recorded it in 2004 on the CD: Benchmarks volume 8 - Northampton