Mander Organ Builders Forum

'modern' Christmas Music

Jeremy Ewen

A few years back I got a bit bored with all the normal stuff I was playing at the Christmas services, so started to make an organ version of the Slade song "Merry Christmas Everybody", but it didn't come to anything because the wife said it was undignified :) . I thought it would go down quite well, at least everyone would know it, even the ones who only come once a year to the carol service.

Has anyone ever gone the whole hog and done something like this, not just the odd line in the middle of an improvisation?

JE

Ocumuse publised a suite by Nigel Gaze called "Christmas in Brandenburg" - various carols rendered in the style of JSB. I don't know it it is in print any more, nor do I know what happened to Oecumuse. Any ideas, folks? (I used to be on BB's panel of reviewers).

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago I had to replace a collegue of mine during a Christmas service. This organist was known for his somewhat "conservative" style: he played always the ordinary stuff and very boring improvisations, and most of all he was known that he played each year the same pieces (and improvisations? :unsure:). So I decided to play at the end of the service Lefébure-Wély's famous Sortie in E flat major. The congregation was completely amazed and rested in the stalls until the end (very unusual in German roman catholic churches...).