Mander Organ Builders Forum

Mixtures Without Principals

Guest Andrew Butler

Paul,

I too usually use the ASCII codes; the character map would be more helpful but I can't find it where you have suggested, nor does a search on "character map" produce anything. Any ideas? Nothing unusual on my system: XP Home, MS Office and IE7.

John C

Hi

I use character map frequently for NPOR entries, as the editing software is a basic text editor, the normal WIndows shortcuts don't work.

Access it from START-ALL PROGRAMMES-SYSTEM TOOLS and character map is on the resulting menu - right at the top on my computer. Having got there, you could add a shortcut from the desktop, etc. if you want to.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

I use character map frequently for NPOR entries, as the editing software is a basic text editor, the normal WIndows shortcuts don't work.

Access it from START-ALL PROGRAMMES-SYSTEM TOOLS and character map is on the resulting menu - right at the top on my computer. Having got there, you could add a shortcut from the desktop, etc. if you want to.

Every Blessing

Tony

Failing that, a search for 'charmap' will find several entries. Look for the application, right-click, and place a shortcut on Desktop.

Failing that, a search for 'charmap' will find several entries. Look for the application, right-click, and place a shortcut on Desktop.

You also have to have the application loaded from the Windows CD in the first place - which I didn't. I have these occasional "tidying-up" sessions where I get rid of things I'm not using and I must have inadvertently removed the character map at the same time. As a wise computer professional once told me, "Do you prefer a tidy computer - or one that works?" It rather reminds me of the thread about tidy organ lofts!

John C

Hi

Tony

The "normal" accents, eg ü, Ü, é, è, ç, â, ñ, are all very easy on a Mac; there is something called Keyboard Viewer that helps you find the keys to press. To help the Polish au pair I turned on the Polish keyboard layout and there were the l's with slashes and everything! And, Tony, I'd imagine the keyboard shortcuts would work in a Text Editor too, though I'm no expert.

Michael

The "normal" accents, eg ü, Ü, é, è, ç, â, ñ, are all very easy on a Mac; there is something called Keyboard Viewer that helps you find the keys to press. To help the Polish au pair I turned on the Polish keyboard layout and there were the l's with slashes and everything! And, Tony, I'd imagine the keyboard shortcuts would work in a Text Editor too, though I'm no expert.

Michael

Hi

The microsoft keyboard shortcuts don't work in most basic text editors - I've not used a Mac so I don't know. NPOR is on an Oracle database, and the windows shortcuts don't work, but the keystroke codes (ALT+a number) and copying from other programmes or from Character Map does come up with the correct characters. It's pretty easy to enable alternative language keyboards in Windows XP - I have Urdu available on mine, but a native Urdu speaker tells me that some of the keys are in different places to a true Urdu keyboard. All I need to do now is to learn the language!

Every Blessing

Tony

I know that these discussion topics frequently wander off down unexpected paths, but surely this one takes the biscuit. Organ anoracks may be sad people, but who in their right mind wants to read endless postings about keyboard shortcuts?

Please get back on topic or let it die.

I know that these discussion topics frequently wander off down unexpected paths, but surely this one takes the biscuit. Organ anoracks may be sad people, but who in their right mind wants to read endless postings about keyboard shortcuts?

Sorry Neil, partly my fault. But it has been a useful conversation.

JC

I'm sorry you don't consider the discussion appropriate. Every on-line group I've ever been part of, e-lists, Usenet, and boards such as this one, has had threads that digress to a discussion of computer keyboard shortcuts for accents. It's almost inevitable when you consider the means of communication. There's nothing particularly anorakish about organists in this regard.

Michael