Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organs For The Bin

Guest delvin146

Well I think Harrisons recently built a new 2m organ in Douglas. That's all I know.

JJK

===========================

Oh dear!

We'll be back to Laycock & Bannister's vintage years, if we're not careful. They seemed to have built a few over there, because in a straight-line to the Fylde Coast, they were not far away.

I expect they all sound much the same, which is a pity, because they were magnificently built beasts.

MM

Well I think Harrisons recently built a new 2m organ in Douglas. That's all I know.

JJK

Hi

There are some listed on NPOR - just put "Isle of Man" in the address search - around 70 are listed - I don't know how many are still in situ.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

There are some listed on NPOR - just put "Isle of Man" in the address search - around 70 are listed - I don't know how many are still in situ.

Every Blessing

Tony

Organs on the Isle of Man hmmm. There is a new organ in St George's Douglas by H&H. It's a bit of a sore point as it is not really big enough for the building. It replaces a Jardine with thick trombas. The swell and the great are similiar in volume and it seems voiced loudly to try and fill the building. When there's a good crowd in it is difficult to hear it at the back (this was clear at Miss Bates opening recital). The front case pipes seem to be too short too. It's a bit of a missed opportunity alas. The church were advised by professional organists but chose to ignore the advice. A pity !