Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Oxford Aubertin

Guest Cremona

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Again, thanks for all the information and photos, Nigel. Does M. Aubertin not permit you to take photos of the giant sheets of instructions (a la Ikea) for assembly? :P

Ha! The people who dismantle only come and then erect - thus they carry the knowledge with them and know precisely the order and how it all goes back together again. The Master Sheet is locked in an Aubertin brain just in case. I kid you not - I have no idea how all this comes out of the brain. The design. The drawings. The engineering. The mathematics. The scalings. The voicing. Absolutely everything - and more besides. Such is the man. And then one comes to the costs ......................

All best wishes,

Nigel

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Yes, thanks Nigel - how exciting!! :rolleyes:

Are we going to be able to arrange a board members' visit like the one to Malborough last year?

Apologies if this has already been asked...

P

I imagine that as I have been asked by The President of St John's to suggest things for 'openings', it would be good to ascertain how many members here would be interested in a Saturday event so that I could more strongly suggest and give him and the college something concrete to go on. I am sure that they would not mind me doing this. They are so very busy, and I am not. So, if members send a PM or Email to me giving numbers and for a preference for am/pm or both, I could collate numbers and pass them on for them to consider how best to proceed.

Does this suit? I'm trying hard!

All the best,

Nigel

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
I imagine that as I have been asked by The President of St John's to suggest things for 'openings', it would be good to ascertain how many members here would be interested in a Saturday event so that I could more strongly suggest and give him and the college something concrete to go on. I am sure that they would not mind me doing this. They are so very busy, and I am not. So, if members send a PM or Email to me giving numbers and for a preference for am/pm or both, I could collate numbers and pass them on for them to consider how best to proceed.

All the best,

Nigel

For those members on Face Book - here is the link to the VIDEO of the installation that I took yesterday.

All the best and happy viewing.

Nigel

Guest Patrick Coleman
For those members on Face Book - here is the link to the VIDEO of the installation that I took yesterday.

All the best and happy viewing.

Nigel

Fascinating.

All the best,

Nigel

I would be very interested in a Saturday event.

Best wishes,

David Wallace

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

Sorry to blitz, but I've had a few requests to put the links together. So I have taken the opportunity to edit and tidy up those that I took yesterday in the Chapel. Viewers might find the comparisons of workshop and chapel most interesting as the perspective suddenly makes such a total difference now we see the conception of Aubertin becoming reality.

The Opening in the Workshop (9th December 2007)

The Packing for delivery

Last Pictures 18th January 2008

Those members who are on Face Book - I notice that a wonderful person is transferring the pictures each day from the STATIC WEBCAM. I see that today the facade pipes have gone in! Flick through the pictures and you see exactly what was done on each day.

I have quite a number of requests about an Open Day. I shall pass on your thoughts to Sir Michael and hope that others also reply to that previous posting about arranging such a day. I shall keep you posted!

All best wishes,

Nigel

Please explain your reasoning.

If that were the case, surely anything about any other builder or organ by another builder than Manders would be the same. The organ building world is a pretty small one, and in my experience cross-fertilization is a major benefit to all. I'm sure our hosts would agree.

Jonathan

Please explain your reasoning.

My reasoning (not that I'm trying to answer anyone else's question) would be -

1) Regarding the organ as a work of art, no good organ is any better than any other as there can be no quantifiable scale of 'good' and 'bad'. It's not a production line or a sales-driven operation - people approach a certain builder because the artistic qualities and aesthetics that builder demonstrates are what they value. The rationale for buying a painting is different from the rationale for buying a loaf of bread.

2) A host doesn't provide a discussion forum solely for their own glorification. We very seldom talk explicitly about Mander organs (and those occasions when we do aren't necessarily complimentary at the expense of honesty) but frequently discuss other instruments around the world. It's my guess that Bavo, Worcester and Ally P have taken up more space on these pages, to name but three.

3) There is no doubt that this will be a very exciting instrument indeed, particularly to those of us who have seen it in various stages of construction and had prolonged exposure to instruments from the same builder, and there is no disputing that the arrival of such an instrument will inspire a great many things to the general benefit of the British organ building and playing scenes as a whole.

4) We managed to arrange a visit to the Beckearath at Marlborough on these pages. Those who were there and plan to attend this event as well will doubtless come to a judgement on which is the better instrument. Why does discussing and arranging to visit something which many think will be extremely good constitute advertising, whereas discussing and arranging to visit something which some thought may be slightly disappointing does not?

5) For many this will be their first experience of an organ from this builder, apart from those who are in a position to make it to Aberdeen or France.

For me, it's been great to see pictures of soundboards transported with pipes already planted, all covered in shrinkwrap. I hadn't fully believed that he actually did this, but the justification seems to make sense (namely that if you're going to have an accident, may as well make it a big one as the insurance excess won't cover anything less!)

Yes, I agree with what you say, David, but I think the point being made is that, basically, an organ builder competitor is getting a lot of free publicity on a board which is paid for by our generous hosts, no matter the quality and interest in the new instrument.

Yes, I agree with what you say, David, but I think the point being made is that, basically, an organ builder competitor is getting a lot of free publicity on a board which is paid for by our generous hosts, no matter the quality and interest in the new instrument.

Same goes for many other instruments and builders (and CD's I might add at my own expense).

How many of us here are in a position to commission a new organ? How many people who are in such a position would base purchasing decisions on chit chat on a web forum?

I still don't think this can be called advertising. If it was negative, then it MIGHT stick, but as it's not I'm sure there won't be the slightest difference.

Well, if Mr Mander objects he can always delete the thread... It says much for his integrity that he allows us to discuss our opinions so freely - and I appreciate this very much indeed. In any case, I honestly don't think he needs to worry that much. The merits and track record of Mander Organs speak for themselves; the company's competition is at the highest end of the market where it is well able to hold its own.

In any case, don't Messrs Aubertin and Mander occupy rather different niches within the market, or do I completely misunderstand the situation (highly likely)?

Well, if Mr Mander objects he can always delete the thread... It says much for his integrity that he allows us to discuss our opinions so freely - and I appreciate this very much indeed. In any case, I honestly don't think he needs to worry that much. The merits and track record of Mander Organs speak for themselves; the company's competition is at the highest end of the market where it is well able to hold its own.

Yes, quite right Vox! :lol:

My reasoning (not that I'm trying to answer anyone else's question) would be -

1) Regarding the organ as a work of art, no good organ is any better than any other as there can be no quantifiable scale of 'good' and 'bad'. It's not a production line or a sales-driven operation - people approach a certain builder because the artistic qualities and aesthetics that builder demonstrates are what they value. The rationale for buying a painting is different from the rationale for buying a loaf of bread.

2) A host doesn't provide a discussion forum solely for their own glorification. We very seldom talk explicitly about Mander organs (and those occasions when we do aren't necessarily complimentary at the expense of honesty) but frequently discuss other instruments around the world. It's my guess that Bavo, Worcester and Ally P have taken up more space on these pages, to name but three.

3) There is no doubt that this will be a very exciting instrument indeed, particularly to those of us who have seen it in various stages of construction and had prolonged exposure to instruments from the same builder, and there is no disputing that the arrival of such an instrument will inspire a great many things to the general benefit of the British organ building and playing scenes as a whole.

4) We managed to arrange a visit to the Beckearath at Marlborough on these pages. Those who were there and plan to attend this event as well will doubtless come to a judgement on which is the better instrument. Why does discussing and arranging to visit something which many think will be extremely good constitute advertising, whereas discussing and arranging to visit something which some thought may be slightly disappointing does not?

5) For many this will be their first experience of an organ from this builder, apart from those who are in a position to make it to Aberdeen or France.

For me, it's been great to see pictures of soundboards transported with pipes already planted, all covered in shrinkwrap. I hadn't fully believed that he actually did this, but the justification seems to make sense (namely that if you're going to have an accident, may as well make it a big one as the insurance excess won't cover anything less!)

David - aside from the fact that I was not expecting you to answer this question, I was simply surprised at the apparent vehemence of the original terse statement by emsgdh.

David - aside from the fact that I was not expecting you to answer this question, I was simply surprised at the apparent vehemence of the original terse statement by emsgdh.

I wasn't surprised at at all. It was such a complete non point to begin with !

I am sure Nigel will be seething as he is in Denmark this week and missing all the fun. I apologise if this descends into hyperbole!

We arrived at St John's today just in time to hold notes for the final tuning of some of the reeds and then I was allowed a good hour or so to explore around the thing. What an amazing instrument!

What marks it apart for me is seeing that Oxford now has a really fine organ for Anglican accompaniment. That has been the objection of many for a long time, and I hope they will be delighted at the wealth of 8' colour (including enclosed strings, and a 4' Salicet behaving for all the world like an octave coupler) and the ease with which the whole thing can be built up to a stunning fff in which every stop, even the little Portunal on the Positif and the 3rk Cornet on the Recit, play an important role. You might expect that with all this colour and variety at 8' pitch the road to full organ would be lumpy or compromised - not a bit of it. The variety is not just in the differing ranks (many types of Flute, Gamba, Viole, etc etc) but also within them, from treble to bass - and of course in combination. Great Gambe and Flute 8' creates an entirely new sound you would never expect having heard the two stops alone. It just goes to prove that you can have a technicolour world of colour and interest without Hope Jones scaling or high pressures.

It is no exaggeration to say that this afternoon has been the most exciting in a very long while, and all my previous protestations about 'the best organ in Oxford' (usually the University Church, unless I've just been to New College) are now null and void. In my view this pales everything in Oxford and Cambridge into the hazy distance. Bravo.