Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Oxford Aubertin

Guest Cremona

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
For those following the progress of this new instrument, some new enlightening photos were included on the Group 'Oxford Aubertin at St John's College' FaceBook site.

All best wishes

Nigel

At Les Amis d'Aubertins Group on Facebook, you can see 7 Videos, including one of Sarralbe (St Martin) as well as 4 videos of a tour round the workshops and the fantastic organ of St Martin in Vertus.

Happy viewing.

All best wishes,

Nigel

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Hmmm - I shall try when I return home. Either this site is blocked here at school (likely) - or this link does not work.

Obviously a good school!

N

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
For those following the progress of this new instrument, some new enlightening photos were included on the Group 'Oxford Aubertin at St John's College' FaceBook site.

All best wishes

Nigel

I heard that much of the Great Organ and the Pedal were played for the first time yesterday. Dates are being arranged for assembly in Oxford.

All best wishes,

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

NEWS UPDATES.

1. St John's, Oxford. The President, Sir Michael Scholar leads members of the College and myself along with the present Organ Scholar and the elected Scholar for 2008, on a grand visit on 9th December for a few days to see the finished organ in the Atelier in Courtefontaine. Then it will be dismantled and brought to England at the start of the New Year. It should take about 10 days to install.

2. The Gallery is nearing completion after a major building programme to accommodate a staircase which provides access to the new organ by a player! Bones held up the work earlier on in the term.

Try this link for a range of photos of the organ under construction as well as the works and buildings.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/aubertin.orgues/StJohnS

NEWS UPDATES.

1. St John's, Oxford. The President, Sir Michael Scholar leads members of the College and myself along with the present Organ Scholar and the elected Scholar for 2008, on a grand visit on 9th December for a few days to see the finished organ in the Atelier in Courtefontaine. Then it will be dismantled and brought to England at the start of the New Year. It should take about 10 days to install.

2. The Gallery is nearing completion after a major building programme to accommodate a staircase which provides access to the new organ by a player! Bones held up the work earlier on in the term.

Try this link for a range of photos of the organ under construction as well as the works and buildings.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/aubertin.orgues/StJohnS

It looks glorious. If it sounds half as well as it looks, St.John's is a very lucky college indeed.

Imagine going from a 1970s HN&B rebuild of a 20s H&H to that!!!

It looks glorious. If it sounds half as well as it looks, St.John's is a very lucky college indeed.

Imagine going from a 1970s HN&B rebuild of a 20s H&H to that!!!

yeah...but with about the same amount of kopex, by the look of it !!

H :unsure:

yeah...but with about the same amount of kopex, by the look of it !!

H :unsure:

Sorry to be combattive!

So..... what's wrong with kopex?

I don't think that gentle curves with kopex can be any the worse for pipe speech than 45 or 90 degree bends in traditional conveyances soldered up out of pipe metal. If I was about to take an organ apart (ready for reassembly) , I would much rather deal with kopex and it's a great time and effort saver too. Time = money.

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Sorry to be combattive!

So..... what's wrong with kopex?

I don't think that gentle curves with kopex can be any the worse for pipe speech than 45 or 90 degree bends in traditional conveyances soldered up out of pipe metal. If I was about to take an organ apart (ready for reassembly) , I would much rather deal with kopex and it's a great time and effort saver too. Time = money.

Why are you talking of something called Kopex in an Aubertin organ? I assure you everything is done with conveyances in lead. Perhaps my photographs were of a bad quality. So sorry. But there will be close-ups just to give a better and clearer picture when I return next month. But, we all have different methods and so this is this, and others might be of that. Surely, these are the wonderful differences that make building organs so vibrant and idiosyncratic.

All best wishes,

Nigel

These pictures (as are the Worcester ones on another thread) are giving an amazing opportunity to view the organ taking shape - thanks for this - any more Aubertins heading this way?

AJJ

These pictures (as are the Worcester ones on another thread) are giving an amazing opportunity to view the organ taking shape - thanks for this - any more Aubertins heading this way?

AJJ

The Worcester ones also give an amazing opportunity to view the organ being removed :(

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

AJJ

Alastair

Well, for England:- The organ for Pembroke College (Cambridge) starts after Christmas and three for private homes (Cornwall, Oxford and Surrey, largest is 33 stops) are under construction - arrival 2008.

All the best,

N

Alastair

Well, for England:- The organ for Pembroke College (Cambridge) starts after Christmas and three for private homes (Cornwall, Oxford and Surrey, largest is 33 stops) are under construction - arrival 2008.

All the best,

N

What's happening at Pembroke? Is it the main organ that they're replacing? Will the Charles Quarles pipework be retained? I played it frequently a few years ago: a close friend of mine was organ scholar there (till about 2001). It seemed in pretty decent shape then. Why the change?

Charles

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
What's happening at Pembroke? Is it the main organ that they're replacing? Will the Charles Quarles pipework be retained? I played it frequently a few years ago: a close friend of mine was organ scholar there (till about 2001). It seemed in pretty decent shape then. Why the change?

Charles

It is an additional organ at Pembroke.

N

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

12th November: I heard via an excellent telephone line all the flue work this evening plus the 16ft Pedal reed. Delicious flutes and characterful 8fts all over the place. Unda maris and swell box sounded like a musical description of crème brûlée. How utterly yummy. We are all on 'count down' to the visit on 9th December when The College President (Sir Michael Scholar) leads the college expedition of 7 to see the finished instrument. The party includes Max Barley (Organ Scholar) and Richard Moore (presently Organ Scholar at Southwell Minster and elected to St John's 2008). A surfeit of Scholars? Never!

More pictures are on their way this week displaying pipework and layout. I shall link them as soon as possible.

All best wishes,

Nigel

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Does anyone know what the proposed stoplist of the new Oxford Aubertin is going to be. I understand that it will have some items new on Aubertin organs, such as a swell box, Dulciana etc. Can anyone enlighten me?

The Dulciana has now become Viola - almost overnight!

N

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

There are five new pictures today (21st November) from Madame Aubertin and this is a link to them, St John's Photos if any readers are interested or are following the progress of the almost completed organ. I go to see and play on 9th December before it is dismantled ready for shipping to Oxford. Installation is planned to start on 7th January 2008 and will take about 10 days to finish thus making minimal disruption to College and Chapel life.

All the best,

Nigel

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

The Music Machine grows. As promised the other day, here are some photos of the pipework for St John's. I leave you to work out the stop names from what you can see!

There are also some wood and metal work pictures.

It will be finished for 9th December when France and The Oxford Seven descend on the workshop for an Open Day.

All the best

Nigel

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

Some new detailed pictures of Stop action, Winding etc came through today. I post them for those interested in the Boiler Room of this almost completed instrument. When you reach this album, to see the previous pictures I am sure that if you click on the the link St John's Public Gallery, you will be directed to the previous ones that I have posted. Happy looking.

All best wishes,

Nigel

P.S. Hot from the download are 4 pictures added to the above, showing the woodcarving being applied to beneath the central tower of the main case. It mirrors the same design of the Ambo (seen in a previous album) that is beneath the Gallery.