Mander Organ Builders Forum

Christmas Reetings To All

Peter Clark

A very happy Christmas to you too, Peter, and to everyone else.

And to those who don't celebrate it: Bah! Humbug! :D

Re your typo, my wife was highly amused last Sunday to see the service sheet at her church inviting everyone to sing "Hark the herald angels sin"!

May I wish everyone a happy, and I suspect, hard-working Christmas. Especially to John Mander and his team for providing this excellent discussion board. :D

Hi

Christmas Greetings here too. Only 2 services yesterday and one today - not too onerous - carol service yesterday & this morning's family service I'll play for - the organ was only reinstalled and finished on Friday, so I'm trying to get used to the straight, flat pedalboard that feels very different since the restoration (re-faced pedal keys and a more positive, but rather lighter action make the feel rather different to what I remember from the last time I played it 4 months ago!)

Every Blessing

Tony

Festive Greetings from deepest Somerset - I am not supposed to be on this thing today - 'am listening to the CD of Cochereau improvising on Noels - a present from my 6 year old daughter (she's learning!). Carol Service (a bit hairy on 1 man & 8 stops) last night then nothing more till next Sunday.

AJJ

PS Please could someone ban 'The Shepherd's Farewell' - I hate it!

PS Please could someone ban 'The Shepherd's Farewell' - I hate it!

===============

I thought it was just me!

I also hate that dreadful "Three kings from Persian lands afar" by Cornelius.....talk about ways to murder a good chorale tune.

I actually played a largely FRENCH repertoire this Christmas.......I have reasons for stumbling thus.

The heating system broke down Christmas Eve, and a space-heater was hurriedly installed, powered by propane gas. We therefore had a luke-warm church, the place humid beyong belief, and the temperature going from 55F to 28F in the space of about 2 hours.

I therefore had sticking notes, a hideously out of tune instrument and a certain desire to be elsewhere.....like somewhere...... anywhere....... warm.

I sat on an electric heater during the homily, during all FIVE Christmas Masses, listening to the same words and feeling hungry. The best I could find as I scampered around looking for food in a hurry, after finishing work at 7am Sunday, was bacon & eggs!

I was in a bad mood, and snarled at anyone who came within range of the console threatening to wish me a happy Christmas. (See the other thread on this subject).

We had a hideously out of tune Bach Sinfonia, a slightly more in tune D minor, increasingly out of tune carols pre-mass, then various snippets of Daquin; all incredibly authentic with the tuning now beyond description. The final Widor was hysterical.......when the Positive screeched out at the end, it must have been a quarter-tone out with the rest of the organ!

The only good thing was "Silent Night"......played on the only stop that ever stays completely in tune.....the big, fat French-style Rohrflute.

I am now finally assembling the Christmas tree and I've put the wine in the fridge; only to discover that I forgot to defrost the turkey!!

Bacon & eggs again, I suppose.

I knew I should have gone to Prague with Marek!

:D

MM

Guest Geoff McMahon
May I wish everyone a happy, and I suspect, hard-working Christmas. Especially to John Mander and his team for providing this excellent discussion board. :D

Thank you - happy Christmas and a prosperous year to everyone here on the board, too.

Webmaster

Mander Organs

Oh dear, some people aren't having much fun. Our boys have utterly excelled themselves in 2 gruelling days of services plus carol singing round hospital wards, the organ's performed (almost) without fault, and better still, not one of the congregation has spoken to me at all, let alone tried to proffer mince pies (to which I am allergic). Last night was pure magic, and today even more so (as much as I noticed through tiredness) - best performance of the Poston I have ever heard. Reetings indeed to one 'n' all.

Guest delvin146

Yes merry christmas to all. Although don't you get stuffed with the whole lot of it. Tis the season to be uncharacteristcally nice to people one can't stand, get blotto and masacre turkeys. Quite bizarre really. I'm looking forward to ash wednesday. Now where did I put that mulled wine?

Happy Christmas to you all.

===============

I thought it was just me!

I also hate that dreadful "Three kings from Persian lands afar" by Cornelius.....talk about ways to murder a good chorale tune.

I actually played a largely FRENCH repertoire this Christmas.......I have reasons for stumbling thus.............

Bacon & eggs again, I suppose.

I knew I should have gone to Prague with Marek!

MM

I must say, I rather like the Cornelius, each to their own I guess? Do you dislike “Christus” by Felix Mendelssohn as well?

:lol:

Happy Christmas to you all.

Do you dislike “Christus” by Felix Mendelssohn as well?

========================

I've never heard it, but I hate the Liszt "Christus" with an absolute passion. What a miserable piece of sanctimony that is.

I once refused to play the organ part for THAT particularly sordid item of musical masochism.

:lol:

MM

Guest Roffensis

Yes indeed. Happy Christmas to all on here, no doubt we are all hopefully having a well earned down time. I spent yesterday afternoon vegging out watching "The world at war" on the history channel, and later on "Haloween"....as one does at Christmas. :D

All best to all for 2007. :lol:

R

Happy Christmas to all.........

I don't know the Mendelssohn or Liszt items described, but could I nominate "O Holy night" by Adolphe Adam? Awful gooey mush............

G

====================

A definite improvement on the Liszt, nevertheless.

MM

'Reetings to you all as well from the USA

(or should that be happy Boxing Day now?)

I know this is late, but what the heck - we were

(most all of us) busy this weekend, with no time

for the list.

Here is a charming little piece, Louis Delune's

"L'adoration des Bergers" from the collection

Les Maitres Contemporains pour orgue.

http://evensongmusic.net/audio/DeluneLAdoration.mp3

Hope you all played well, and that you are enjoying a well-deserved

rest.

Enjoy,

- Jonathan

Belated Christmas greetings and best wishes for the New Year to all.

Also, may I too add my sincere thanks to the Mander team.

I have to admit that having recently downsized my church music commitments, I have had the most relaxed Christmas ever.

BTW, MM, I've never encountered 'Christus'. Surely it can't be as heroically appalling as 'Via Crucis'?

Back to work today with a hangover, only to find you've all been very busy bunnies over the festive period, playing for services and finding the time to post on this board. And there was me thinking only the female of the species could multi-task! B) With Christmas but a distant memory - if you can remember it, you weren't drinking enough - may I wish New Year Reetings to one and all. :unsure: