Mander Organ Builders Forum

Celebrities As Organists

MusingMuso

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having watched a recording of How We Built Britain on BBC 1 last night, David Dimbleby needs to be added to the list of celebrities as organists after playing Cole Porter's I Love Paris as a duet with Len Rawle on the Wurlitzer at the Granada, Tooting.

Guest Patrick Coleman
Having watched a recording of How We Built Britain on BBC 1 last night, David Dimbleby needs to be added to the list of celebrities as organists after playing Cole Porter's I Love Paris as a duet with Len Rawle on the Wurlitzer at the Granada, Tooting.

Did you say playing? B)

=========================

Which reminds me of the man who wrote to the problam page:-

"Dear Marj, I have so many problems. I enjoy bestiality and sadism in equal measure, but recently I've become interest in necrophilia. Have you any advice that you can give me, or am I flogging a dead horse?"

:)

MM

I haven't tried it, but I hear it's dead boring.

B

Whereas incest is only relatively boring.

Did you say playing? :P

He was only playing the RH melody while Len played the accompaniment, and after some initial confusion because Len was playing the LH page simultaneously with DD playing the RH page, the tonality settled down :) and we heard and saw a passable duet. DD's fingers knew where they were going. There is a musical streak in the family: his daughter was a fine oboist (post grade 8) and singer at school, and she is now carving a career for herself as a jazz singer.

• 3 months later...

For all fans of soccer and those whose memory goes back sufficiently far,Jimmy Armfield, of Blackpool ,former captain of England in the 60s,and currently working on Radio 5 live as a soccer pundit was, and may well still be, organist of his local church.I also have it in my mind that Howard Kendall, former player and manager of Everton played the organ in his youth.

What's that film about the pig, written by the wonderful Alan Bennett and set in Ilkley, Yorkshire?

In that, there is a splendid clip of Maggie Smith playing a theatre organ, which certainly wouldn't have been in Ilkley.

Apparently, Maggie Smith is quite a competent organist.

Anyway, the lady who plays her mother in the pig film, is also the old lady who plays the organ in "The vicar of Dibley."

Has anyone squaled with delight at that Michael Palin film, featuring Maggie Smith? It's called "The Missionary," where the vicar devotes his life to fallen women in London.

As for fictional characters playing the organ.......we all forgot "Lurch" in the "Addams Family".....my favourite!

It's nearly that time of year, when they heat up the pennies in the couldron and throw them to the carol singers!!!!

I wish I had the balls to do that when they sing out of tune at my doorstep!

"Halloween" costs me a fortune each year, and this year I decided to call their bluff.

"Trick," I said.

The kids looked puzzled for a little while, until the smallest one did a curious little dance and then went, "Boo!"

I gave in: terrified out of my wits......... <_<

MM

What's that film about the pig, written by the wonderful Alan Bennett and set in Ilkley, Yorkshire?

In that, there is a splendid clip of Maggie Smith playing a theatre organ, which certainly wouldn't have been in Ilkley.

A Private Function

MM

Hi

Ilkley did have a theatre organ - but not by one of the major builders - Essolldo, Railway Road had a Fitton & Hayley similar to that shown at www.kingsdr.demon.co.uk/cinemas/ggates.htm#organ

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

Ilkley did have a theatre organ - but not by one of the major builders - Essolldo, Railway Road had a Fitton & Hayley similar to that shown at www.kingsdr.demon.co.uk/cinemas/ggates.htm#organ

Every Blessing

Tony

======================

Thanks Tony. I knew about that one, but of course, it had long been removed when "A private function" was filmed.

I believe the clip in question was shot at Grays, Essex, on the Compton.

Icidentally, I once heard (how true it is, I do not know) that Maggie Smith actually did play the organ in a cinema in her younger days.

MM

• 2 weeks later...

There was a 'Hammer' film on last night called 'Tales from the Crypt'. The familiar strains of THE toccata was the accompaniment to the opening credits. To my surprise not only was the title music credited but so was the performer - Nicholas Kynaston. The soundtrack to the first of the 'tales from the Crypt -( crypt not credited) - was also organ music and carols with organ. Was this also NK? Where was it recorded?

There was a 'Hammer' film on last night called 'Tales from the Crypt'. The familiar strains of THE toccata was the accompaniment to the opening credits. To my surprise not only was the title music credited but so was the performer - Nicholas Kynaston. The soundtrack to the first of the 'tales from the Crypt -( crypt not credited) - was also organ music and carols with organ. Was this also NK? Where was it recorded?

Did NK record it especially for the film I wonder, or did the film company merely use an existing recording?

Peter

• 1 month later...

I hope I may be forgiven for reopening an old topic. Ben-Hur (1959) is showing on the television today, and while reviewing its IMDb entry I found that

Finlay Currie was in his early years an organist and choirmaster in Scotland. He narrates the introduction and also plays the part of Balthasar, friend of Sheik Ilderim. You may also remember him as Magwitch in Great Expectations (1946).

Naturally, I waited for the chariot race to finish before posting!