Mander Organ Builders Forum

64’ Bombarde Basso?

MAS

What is the "64’ Bombarde Basso" in Washington Cathedral's organ? Is it a 64' reed (it looks like it should be one)? I thought that there was only one 64' reed in existence, the Contra Trombone in Sidney Town Hall (not counting Atlantic City's 64' which is a diaphone).

http://www.cathedral.org/cathedral/music/greatorgan.shtml

-MAS

As there seems to be no 32' reed, could this be a misprint (for Bombarde Basso 32')?

John

It's definitely "Bombarde Basse", not "Bombarde Basso": I've got a photo to prove it!

I looked up the specification that Washington sent me back in '98 prior to a visit. It says that the 64' is extended from the Contre Bombarde 32', which in turn is extended from the 16' Ophicleide, but it also says that the 64' only has 3 pipes (which would be for the B, B flat and A). I thought it was more than that, but my memory is obviously playing tricks again. Anyway, I am quite positive that at that time, the bottom of the 64' was quinted. It did sound absolutely filthy, so I wonder whether the electronic octave is a more recent replacement for the quinting.

It's definitely "Bombarde Basse", not "Bombarde Basso": I've got a photo to prove it!

I looked up the specification that Washington sent me back in '98 prior to a visit. It says that the 64' is extended from the Contre Bombarde 32', which in turn is extended from the 16' Ophicleide, but it also says that the 64' only has 3 pipes (which would be for the B, B flat and A). I thought it was more than that, but my memory is obviously playing tricks again. Anyway, I am quite positive that at that time, the bottom of the 64' was quinted. It did sound absolutely filthy, so I wonder whether the electronic octave is a more recent replacement for the quinting.

A friend gave a recital there some years ago, and used it for the very last chord of Durufle's Toccata. Apparently it was quite effective, although I'm struggling to think of any other use for such a stop.

G