Mander Organ Builders Forum

Urgent - Alexandra Palace Organ [information Only]

passion_chorale

Guest Roffensis
Guess who ??

from bored of Clapham.

I am trying to find clarification exactly who the "we" is concerning the meeting and organ at AP. ie which body of people you are referring to? It could be the Women's Guild for as much as you have stated.

Just a healthy interest you understand.

Best regards as always,

R

I am trying to find clarification exactly who the "we" is concerning the meeting and organ at AP. ie which body of people you are referring to? It could be the Women's Guild for as much as you have stated.

Just a healthy interest you understand.

Best regards as always,

R

My late Mother was a member of the Co-op Womens Guild, but I can assure you that it was not them because they disbanded 30 years ago.

I am a great fan of healthy interests, and long may they continue.

Cheers

Colin Richell.

Guest Roffensis
David

As you say the the original thread was about writing to the Charity Commission.

Over 200 people did in fact write, but I suspect that most were writing about the TV Studios rather than the organ.

Thank you for your sensible and serious contribution to the thread. That is the way forward.

I will keep you informed.

Colin Richell.

I shouldn't worry, Mr. Richell. The recent meeting you referred to was, in fact, public anyway, so there are no great mysteries there. I of course do not know if the local Womens Guild or Knitting Circle went, but they would have been welcome to as much as you or I, and learnt as much.

It will be interesting to see what finally evolves when those in authority with influence make some decisions. No doubt you will read about it in the Tabloid Press.

With sincerest regards,

R

It certainly was NOT a public meeting, although there was a Board meeting on Tuesday, our private meeting was on the Monday. At least we did not exceed our authority in writing to the AP Trustee's solictor.

Richard, if you want to see the organ restored, then you should not worry about who achieves that aim, and even you have publicly stated on this thread that it is immoral to have one designated organ builder and Firoka accepts that view.

I would be happy to keep you informed of any further meetings.

regards

Colin Richell

It certainly was NOT a public meeting, although there was a Board meeting on Tuesday, our private meeting was on the Monday. At least we did not exceed our authority in writing to the AP Trustee's solictor.

Richard, if you want to see the organ restored, then you should not worry about who achieves that aim, and even you have publicly stated on this thread that it is immoral to have one designated organ builder and Firoka accepts that view.

I would be happy to keep you informed of any further meetings.

regards

Colin Richell

Haringey Council operates under a strict transparency rule: ALL meetings are listed, detailed and mostly webcast here:

http://www.minutes.haringey.gov.uk/mgCalen...T=Later&J=2

Guest Roffensis

Well that makes most interesting reading......

Any private meetings on any topic whatever can of course be in the local pub with the Foston Foot Admirer's Association, Women's Breast Implant Appreciation Society, North Essex Dog Fouling Sweeper Uppers, and whoever else. Who knows?

R

Guest Lee Blick
Well that makes most interesting reading......

Any private meetings on any topic whatever can of course be in the local pub with the Foston Foot Admirer's Association, Women's Breast Implant Appreciation Society, North Essex Dog Fouling Sweeper Uppers, and whoever else. Who knows?

R

The Roffensis Organista Mafia Society, perhaps? :unsure:

I don't have the time!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Great Hall will become an even busier exhibition centre, leaving very little space for organ recitals.

All credit to those loyal ex-members who created as much of the organ as we have now, but the exercise has failed, because the money for restoration has not materialised, and having listened to people who are far more qualified than I, the restoration will not happen, and the unofficial web site offers the reasons.

The Theatre and TV studios are also very important, and these venues can be restored and protected without having interruptions from exhibitions etc.

Surely it is a pointless exercise arranging 12 months of concerts when the decision to grant permission for these will be down to Firoka after the contract has been signed?

If Firoka can be persuaded to allow the organ to be moved to elsewhere in the Palace with a partial restoration, then most of the problems can be solved, and this is the plan which will be offered to Firoka.

The Great Hall is the natural venue for the organ but with all the dust and temperature change problems, and the failure to keep the organ in tune, I see no alternative.

Would you rather see a partially completed organ or nothing ?

Finally I have seen the pictures of the unrestored pipes owned by the AP Trustees, and I and they are shocked at the conditions in which they are stored, some smaller pipes even thrown into an old suitcase.

This shows very little respect for this famous organ, and the organ builder concerned should be ashamed.

I hope that the pipes can be rescued before there is any talk of further restoration.

Colin Richell.

This topic had a thorough airing some time ago, and ended leaving a nasty taste in the mouth as the correspondence became rather heated, as it shows signs of doing again. Please, gents all, can we give it a rest?

It seems perfectly clear that this instrument is, regrettably but not surprisingly, not going to be restored to its former glory. So RIP AP organ - may you live in the memories of those fortunate enough to have heard you in your heyday. The rest of us will have to make do with old recordings which can never do justice to you. It's very sad, but life goes on, and there are many more Organs out there which still work, still produce wonderful music, and which we can and should enjoy, whether as players or listeners.

Regards to all.

John.

The web masters of www.alexandrapalaceorgan.com have recieved what we believe to be an important letter from a past treasurer of the appeal. This letter takes the form of a series of questions to the appeal commitee. The letter has now been published on the above named web site.

Alan

The web masters of www.alexandrapalaceorgan.com have recieved what we believe to be an important letter from a past treasurer of the appeal. This letter takes the form of a series of questions to the appeal commitee. The letter has now been published on the above named web site.

Alan

Really?

I've just looked at this "letter" - which is, of course, nothing of the sort: It is actually the text of an e-mail sent to Stephen Walsmsley at the APOA, from Colin Richell, regurgitating all of the old stuff, again.

So, how did you 'receive' this letter Mr. Taylor? Why is it not signed.

This is yet another instance of Alan Taylor and Colin Richell using this forum, very generously supplied by Mr. Mander's firm, for their own ends and distasteful in the extreme.

One further point: I am "quoted", apparently, as saying recently that the console does not belong to the Appeal - this is quite incorrect, in fact a lie and another instance of a small amount of information being twisted to make up a new story. The original 4-manual console was not included in the contract for the initial stages, carried out after the rebuilding of the hall - Mr. Willis had included a temporary 2-man. console but eventually said that he would restore the big console and lend it to the scheme. Some time ago I wrote to the Appeal confirming that as far as Henry Willis & sons is concerned, the Console is the property of the Appeal.

I would like to state, publicly, that we are in favour of a tendering process for the Alexandra Palace Organ - notwithstanding the lack of the same process for, say, Birmingham Town Hall, the forthcoming work at St. Paul's Cathedral, St. Alban's Abbey, Bury-St. Edmunds.... etc..etc.. However, one thing is certain, there will be NO tendering process while this rather comedic 'campaign' is continued by these two nit-wits: the obvious reason being that it would seem as if those concerned had bowed to pressure and that will not happen in this case as far as I am aware.

I was at Gloucester Cathedral last weekend and had my attention drawn to a section of Humphrey Clucas's book which gives a very interesting opinion of Mr. Taylor's nature, his being mentioned by name. Worth a read.

We the web masters of www.alexandrapalaceorgan.com are heartened to hear that the ownership of the console has now been transferred over to the AP. This information will be placed on our web site.

However, the latest letter isn’t unsigned. And we stated that it was a copy of a communication to the appeal committee.

We note with much interest, the large numbers of people who read this topic on the Mander web site.

Alan Taylor

John Winn

Please, please, no more about this wretched topic. It has become so distasteful many of us are sick of it. Ally Pally, RIP.

===========================

I pray Sir, that in the fulness of time and in the blossoming of your mind, when petty coniptions have ceased, you may comprehend that which is the very life-force of man; which being contrary to the very existence of beer, stimulating potions and salacious misdemeanours, remains Sir, in the careful manipulation and crafting of that most potent of all concoctions; ink.

Unfortunaetly, the AP organ seems to prove that the pen is not necessarily mightier than the sword, and one may only hope that the contestants, in what has now become a verbal wrestling-match, may yet fall upon their own.

As I've said before, couldn't they just donate the organ to Poland, where there are lots of large Basiliks crying-out for instruments. The Poles LIKE big Tubas!

:o

MM

Guest Roffensis
===========================

Unfortunaetly, the AP organ seems to prove that the pen is not necessarily mightier than the sword, and one may only hope that the contestants, in what has now become a verbal wrestling-match, may yet fall upon their own.

MM

Wrestling match?

Hardly!

More like wet lettuce repetitive salad throwing, but then can a lettuce throw hot air? and as for sour grapes....

BORING

R

Guest Geoff McMahon
I will keep you informed.

Colin Richell.

But not on this forum, I am afraid.

John Mander and I have decided to lock this topic. All new topics about the Alexandra Palace organ will be deleted.

Sorry - this is the first time that we have had to do this but long-time participants will understand why, it seems, that we must.

Moderator, Mander Organs