Mander Organ Builders Forum

Anyone Seen Pierre?

David Coram

I have heard a few stories where people have had to take steps to protect their identity on this forum or leave it to preserve their positions because of people with malicious intent using their messages against them. It is very regrettable that there are people out there like that. I think this is a problem with this otherwise cosy and charming common room being in the public domain. However, I wouldn't take this is an argument to move it to a private domain, although I often wish I had set myself up with a little more anonymity myself and often regret some of the posts I've put up myself...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined months ago and I'm beginning to feel affronted that no-one's insulted me yet. I'm off.................

.......................well I tried at any rate but I just missed you all too much. Cuddles all round.

We can, if you wish, pass on details of your e-mail to SCB. At the same time, we will of course inform him that you hate really large instruments, with multiple divisions positioned in four different locations in a building which would make the basilica of St. Peter in Rome look like an ecclesiastical telephone kiosk complete with altar....

Um.... someone else can have my cuddle, thank you very much.

See the Bears' game, men? :rolleyes:

I have heard a few stories where people have had to take steps to protect their identity on this forum or leave it to preserve their positions because of people with malicious intent using their messages against them. It is very regrettable that there are people out there like that. I think this is a problem with this otherwise cosy and charming common room being in the public domain. However, I wouldn't take this is an argument to move it to a private domain, although I often wish I had set myself up with a little more anonymity myself and often regret some of the posts I've put up myself...

I have suffered this problem arising from the Mander site and from another organ website. I do not see what you can do.

Colin Richell.

We have reason to believe, at least, from Cynic's post earlier, that Pierre is not physically unwell. God bless, Pierre, wherever you are.

It reminds me how ephemeral a community the internet is. People can just appear and disappear and we might never know where they came from or where they went.

We have reason to believe, at least, from Cynic's post earlier, that Pierre is not physically unwell. God bless, Pierre, wherever you are.

It reminds me how ephemeral a community the internet is. People can just appear and disappear and we might never know where they came from or where they went.

Thanks to an odd comment on Pierre's English site today, I have now located the forum in French (which I understand he started and still moderates). Here is the link for those of you with enough facility in French to make something of it.

http://organographia.cultureforum.net/index.htm

Sadly, my French is so weak that I don't hold out much hope myself. I can think of at least one of our number who ought to revel in this.

Guest Geoff McMahon

Paul Isom asked his original ID to be de-registered for reasons to do with his career, not to do with any of the other participants. He is still here, under another ID.

I don't think anyone upset Paul - wasn't it something to do with one of his own posts being read by a member of his church?

Yes.

I have sometimes felt that it would be a good idea to have a separate forum for the more light-hearted or off-topic posts. Some other forums I frequent have one and it does help the main forums to stay more relevant. Call it "The Vestry" or "Choir to Pub", or something. What do you think, Mr Mander?

That is a good suggestion (in other places, such a sub-forum is sometimes called "wibble" or "chatter"). Would anyone else like to put forward a name for it? (I like "Choir to Pub" but would welcome other suggestions, and then I will ask John Mander about it.)

Webmaster, Mander Organs

Well on another well-known forum we have the Forums Cafe, but perhaps that's a little too mild for the contributors hereon! An alternative site has the Whine Bar which might be more apt :P

How about 'The Blower Room'?

Be it resolved, then, that Choir to Pub it is? We should ask permission of one of our forum members who brought this coupler to life...

Go ahead - it is fine by me.

Are we to include a list of banned subjects? Or, how about a swear box? It could work like so: if I make a derogatory remark about a tuba, I have to buy a colleague a pint. Or, if someone is rude about Gloucester Cathedral organ, I get a double vodka, a week's free use of a holiday apartment in Marseilles - and fifty quid.

My PayPal account is....

:P

May I inject a word or several of caution, please?

I'm pretty ignorant about matters organ-ic and am often overawed by the expertise on display here. It strikes me as a highly professional and respectful forum with just a touch of banter. I have learned quite a bit here - mostly about how much I have to learn.

In the recent past there has been some controversy about the RCO, and one member who vented about a service was taken to task by his PCC for what he posted here.

Those controversies would have happened whether they were aired in 'Choir to Pub' or as they were. People aren't going to be not upset by things they take to be upsetting because they happen in a part of the board designated 'casual'. Indeed, the establishment of a 'casual' zone would have the potential to encourage yet more relaxed contributions for people to get upset over.

Then there's the additional danger that the message board becomes all Pub and no Pistons, awash with all sorts of unrelated chatter and before you know it we won't be able to move for threads about who should be expelled from Big Brother.

Would that be better?

J

ps ... I acquired a legitimate copy of Fete ... thanks of all the guidance

Go ahead - it is fine by me.

Are we to include a list of banned subjects? Or, how about a swear box? It could work like so: if I make a derogatory remark about a tuba, I have to buy a colleague a pint. Or, if someone is rude about Gloucester Cathedral organ, I get a double vodka, a week's free use of a holiday apartment in Marseilles - and fifty quid.

My PayPal account is....

:P

Those controversies would have happened whether they were aired in 'Choir to Pub' or as they were. People aren't going to be not upset by things they take to be upsetting because they happen in a part of the board designated 'casual'. Indeed, the establishment of a 'casual' zone would have the potential to encourage yet more relaxed contributions for people to get upset over.
I don't know whether it is possible with the software this forum uses, but it is usually possible for the webmaster to make the "wibble" a subscription-only forum, so that one has to consciously join it to read it. This means that it can only be read by registered forum members; it cannot be read by casual surfers - or by search engine spiders. But that is not why I suggested it. Rather I thought that syphoning off some of the more flippant threads to a separate forum might be appreciated by those who find them irritating. Not that this will mean that the main forums suddenly become deadly serious, but it might be a help nonetheless.
Then there's the additional danger that the message board becomes all Pub and no Pistons, awash with all sorts of unrelated chatter and before you know it we won't be able to move for threads about who should be expelled from Big Brother.
I really cannot see this happening, though you may well be right that an off topic forum will encourage more off topic threads than would otherwise be posted.

I don't know whether it is possible with the software this forum uses, but it is usually possible for the webmaster to make the "wibble" a subscription-only forum, so that one has to consciously join it to read it. This means that it can only be read by registered forum members; it cannot be read by casual surfers - or by search engine spiders. But that is not why I suggested it. Rather I thought that syphoning off some of the more flippant threads to a separate forum might be appreciated by those who find them irritating. Not that this will mean that the main forums suddenly become deadly serious, but it might be a help nonetheless.

I really cannot see this happening, though you may well be right that an off topic forum will encourage more off topic threads than would otherwise be posted.

Personally I would make the whole thing private so one has to log in to read. That way, people can no longer try and use content of what is essentially private chatter maliciously or publicly. Unfortunately it does come quite high up search engine rankings - an early experience of mine was plugging a Gordon Stewart recital here and having half of Romsey Abbey frothing at the mouth because it appeared in a Google search when someone was trying to find his biog. Off topic is no bad thing in any event.

Hey, there's no need to send me into insolvency!

Thanks to an odd comment on Pierre's English site today, I have now located the forum in French (which I understand he started and still moderates). Here is the link for those of you with enough facility in French to make something of it.

http://organographia.cultureforum.net/index.htm

Sadly, my French is so weak that I don't hold out much hope myself. I can think of at least one of our number who ought to revel in this.

The groundrules laid down by the moderators of M. Lauwer's forum are appropriate to a serious, scholarly purpose. I guess that, if the same groundrules were to be applied by this present forum's moderator, perhaps 95% or so of the material would instantly disappear. But then I don't think that this admirable and worthwhile forum aspires to scholarship. It should nonetheless be possible to pursue a serious line of debate without its being disrupted by digressions (which, if important to those who start the hares running, should be used to start other threads) or by the equivalent of the behaviour of those who disrupt school classrooms or interrupt others (see or hear almost any discussion programme on the wireless or television). There's obviously a place for a robust exchange of views or a leavening of wit that does not disrupt the thread. I don't see any reason why those who wish should not start light-hearted threads. That's one issue. For the site to prosper, all that is needed - surely not too demanding a requirement - is normal civility, good manners, respect for others' feelings.

Rather characteristically, this present thread digresses. One good reason for having pseudonyms is that contributors will not find their less well-judged postings called up by anyone who chooses to google their names (which has now become a routine way of checking out people). Perhaps those members whose identity is currently proclaimed should, as hinted at by the moderator, adopt pseudonyms forthwith. That is not to advocate anonymity as a screen for malice, score-settling, personal animadversions or whatever (of which, pace some of the other contributors to this thread, this forum has not been free; in fact I think it is remarkably bitchy and I well undersand why so much offence has been taken). Everyone should remember that any posting on a forum such as this is a public statement. Oddly enough, I suspect that the most significant damage is suffered by those who post material in haste that they later have cause to regret at leisure.

Another digression is the idea of a private smoking room, golf club bar or whatever in which seditious, defamatory or obscene material could be freely exchanged. I'd welcome that, if it means that itches are no longer scratched in public, in just the same way that I have no objection to golf clubs: they help to keep out of my way a sort of person found at high density in golf clubs. Tell me: how is membership of this group to be regulated to ensure its privacy?

Regards.