Mander Organ Builders Forum

Anyone Seen Pierre?

David Coram

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... I don't think that this admirable and worthwhile forum aspires to scholarship. It should nonetheless be possible to pursue a serious line of debate without its being disrupted by digressions .

..... Perhaps those members whose identity is currently proclaimed should, as hinted at by the moderator, adopt pseudonyms forthwith.

......Everyone should remember that any posting on a forum such as this is a public statement.

Another digression is the idea of a private smoking room, golf club bar or whatever in which seditious, defamatory or obscene material could be freely exchanged. I'd welcome that, if it means that itches are no longer scratched in public

Tell me: how is membership of this group to be regulated to ensure its privacy?

==============================

You work for MI5.....right?

They could install software and an international database you know.

:P

MM (a known alias)

'One good reason for having pseudonyms is that contributors will not find their less well-judged postings called up by anyone who chooses to google their names (which has now become a routine way of checking out people).'

Quite. It's also worth noticing that many of the fruitier posts are made rather late in the day; the sun is certainly well over the yard arm and one may detect the influence of the waning Rioja bottle...

"The Blower Room" or "Solo Room" sounds like a forum for a bunch of organist old farts who just want to talk about wind pressures and harmonic trebles (yawn). How about something that seems a bit more welcoming like "The Dog and Duck" with JPM behind the bar serving the drinks?

But then I don't think that this admirable and worthwhile forum aspires to scholarship.
No, it's not scholarly, but it is informed.
One good reason for having pseudonyms is that contributors will not find their less well-judged postings called up by anyone who chooses to google their names (which has now become a routine way of checking out people).
Indeed. Perhaps we should respect poster's nommes de guerre and refrain from using their real names when we know them.

While on the subject of forums - and I realise I am pushing my luck here - given the number of posts recently about singing, hymns, choral institutions (for which I must take some of the blame) would it make the General Discussion board a bit tidier if there was an separate forum for Church Choir topics?