Mander Organ Builders Forum

Unintended Humour

Guest Andrew Butler

Guest Barry Williams
At Berkeley in Gloucestershire the carol Gabriel's Message got printed in the pew sheet as gabriel's Massage!

Self-typing can be hazardous, especially if there is no proof reading. I recall singing at a wedding and watching two of the sopranos (my wife and a friend) trying to stifle giggles. The hymn 'Lord of all hopefulness' has the line "...be there at our homing.." but it was printed "..be there at our horning..".

No-one else noticed; they were all too drunk.

Barry Williams

Not so far as I am concerned; the thread started facetiously (incidentally, Howell's anthem is 'Here is the Door' isn't it, which makes the joke just a little better), so I expected nothing more of it. What is irritating is when a serious discussion is disrupted. Until recently, I was a member of a charity's management committee, whose then chairman was capable of finding, and snorting and sniggering at, a double entendre in almost any form of words. I suggested that a routine item on the agenda, after apologies etc, should be 'Adolescent smut', so that he and those of like mind could then concentrate with the rest of us on the meeting's important business. I hope that threads like this serve the same purpose.

Regards.

It's Here is the Little Door in both publications I have.

Whenever I see I have written a double entendre, I whip it out at once.

It's Here is the Little Door in both publications I have.

I don't doubt you are correct. My apologies for relying on a failing memory and not taking the effort to dig out a recording I bought when I made an unsuccessful effort to find out why some people esteem Howells: I'm afraid I regard having one copy of something by him as a misfortune; to have two, as you seem to have, might be regarded as carelessness.

Regards.

I don't doubt you are correct. My apologies for relying on a failing memory and not taking the effort to dig out a recording I bought when I made an unsuccessful effort to find out why some people esteem Howells: I'm afraid I regard having one copy of something by him as a misfortune; to have two, as you seem to have, might be regarded as carelessness.

Regards.

Aha! Some mis-quoted Wilde, too....

B)

Regards.

So my guess is, you don’t like Herbert Howells? I’m right aren’t I? (Sarcastic mode OFF). Apologies for poor English.

B)

The Collegium Regale Nunc Dimittis is totally sublime. It stirs the soul and pulls at the heart strings, wonderful.

:P :angry:

Indeed it does Phil B) . I think the Westminster Mag & Nunc and "A Spotless Rose" are pretty special too, as well as the three Rhapsodies Op.17.

Sorry, going off topic...........

G

Indeed it does Phil B) . I think the Westminster Mag & Nunc and "A Spotless Rose" are pretty special too, as well as the three Rhapsodies Op.17.

Sorry, going off topic...........

G

Continuing off topic: don't forget

'Like as the hart........'

IMVHO a work of pure genius/inspiration!

The Collegium Regale Nunc Dimittis is totally sublime.
That depends on your tenor soloist!
I think the Westminster Mag & Nunc and "A Spotless Rose" are pretty special too.
Agreed. But in my book you really can't beat the St Paul's Mag & Nunc for sustained ecstasy; the climax of the Gloria is almost sexual.

I've also a sneaking admiration for the little-known Hereford Mag & Nunc, though I await the ideal performance - not too pastoral. That Gloria built entirely over a tonic pedal! Mmmm! Reminiscent of the opening of the last movement of Hymnus paradisi, don't you think? and surely to be approached with something of the same intensity.

And why are The House of the Mind, I would be true and the Coventry Antiphon so rarely done? Three wonderful pieces (though capturing the elusive atmosphere of the first must be difficult - the recording by New College does it superbly).

Surely not?

Ah, Howells.......... B)

=============================

I can only repeat what I once uttered in a moment of inspirational musical analysis.

"Herbert Howells is the polite Anglican response to the atheistic harmonic ramblings of Frederick Delius."

If ever there was a case for meantone.......

:angry:

MM

A somewhat ironic remark considering Howells too was a non-believer.

===========================

What a suitable litany.....

"When the atheistic mind is in distress, and knows not where to turn for help........it seeks yet cannot find a stable root."

I heard it mentioned that Edmund Rubbra, the composer once said of English music:-

"The problem is, it changes key too much"

Perhaps the real devil in music is not the tritone, but ill-judged and too frequent modulation?

Carl Ferdinand Seger managed to write a good fugue on a tritone theme, but of course, only Bach could write something like the "Harmonic Labyrinth" and get away with it.

MM