Mander Organ Builders Forum

Messiaen By Dame Gillian

Florian

Can you recommend Dame Gillian Weir's complete recording of Messiaen's organ works (Priory) to somebody who already owns the Latry and Bate sets? How does the Aarhus organ sound in this repertory? I have to confess that I was rather dissapointed by the Bate set because of the slightly "shrill" sound of the Beauvais instrument which is in my opinion a little bit too neoclassic (this seems not to be a fault of the specification, but of the intonation of this instrument).

Can you recommend Dame Gillian Weir complete recording of Messiaen's organ works (Priory) to somebody who already owns the Latry and Bate sets? How does the Aarhus organ sound in this repertory? I have to confess that I was rather dissapointed by the Bate set because of the slightly "shrill" sound of the Beauvais instrument which is in my opinion a little bit too neoclassic (this seems not to be a fault of the specification, but of the intonation of this instrument).

I don't know this set (yet), but I find that Amazon can offer the original Collins publication of it as a boxed set, remaindered for about £6 - see here (and ignore the wrong cover image).

Paul

Can you recommend Dame Gillian Weir complete recording of Messiaen's organ works (Priory) to somebody who already owns the Latry and Bate sets? How does the Aarhus organ sound in this repertory? I have to confess that I was rather dissapointed by the Bate set because of the slightly "shrill" sound of the Beauvais instrument which is in my opinion a little bit too neoclassic (this seems not to be a fault of the specification, but of the intonation of this instrument).

Yes, a million percent. I have the box set from when it originally came out on Collins Classics. The Aarhus instrument isn't understated by any means, but is extremely colourful and does hang together. I think it complements the music well. The playing is sometimes quirky but incredibly communicative at all times.

I don't know this set (yet), but I find that Amazon can offer the original Collins publication of it as a boxed set, remaindered for about £6 - see here (and ignore the wrong cover image).

Paul

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I paid about 60 quid because it was the last one in Blackwells!

I haven't heard all of the CDs but I recently got her recording of Livre de Sanit Sacrament- in fact she signed it for me as she was giving a recital at my church - and it is tremendous! There are a number of other works on this 2-disc set, burt she seemed a little embarrassed at having to include the "Monodie" in the recording. She told me that she was almost apologetic when she did a series of recitals covering the complete works a few years back and included it; does anybody here actually play it ? I've got the score (£9.00 for two pages - and that was about 7 years ago!) but have never brought it out in public.

Best wishes as ever

Peter

I haven't heard all of the CDs but I recently got her recording of Livre de Sanit Sacrament- in fact she signed it for me as she was giving a recital at my church - and it is tremendous! There are a number of other works on this 2-disc set, burt she seemed a little embarrassed at having to include the "Monodie" in the recording. She told me that she was almost apologetic when she did a series of recitals covering the complete works a few years back and included it; does anybody here actually play it ? I've got the score (£9.00 for two pages - and that was about 7 years ago!) but have never brought it out in public.

Best wishes as ever

Peter

Does anyone remember her Messiaen recorded at the Royal Festival Hall? Hardly the most favourable acoustic

for this music. I think I have got some copies of the discs somewhere. I suppose they might have some value

for a student of how to surmount obstacles or,perhaps,as a sonic guide to the RFH instrument.

Does anyone remember her Messiaen recorded at the Royal Festival Hall? Hardly the most favourable acoustic

for this music. I think I have got some copies of the discs somewhere. I suppose they might have some value

for a student of how to surmount obstacles or,perhaps,as a sonic guide to the RFH instrument.

Well I remember it. I have the LP , in fact both it and its companion release of Ralph Downes at Brompton Oratory, seemingly the only two releases that the company - Radnor - ever put out. I have n't played it for years but I think I might dig it out and see what it sounds like.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

Hmmmm..... you good people should be aware that if you order this (like I did) you will receive a single CD called Paddy goes to Holyhead, as pictured on the Amazon page (like I did today). I have emailed Caiman to see what they propose to do about it and will let you know. I thought £5.73 was cheap for 7 CDs.......

JE

Hmmmm..... you good people should be aware that if you order this (like I did) you will receive a single CD called Paddy goes to Holyhead, as pictured on the Amazon page (like I did today). I have emailed Caiman to see what they propose to do about it and will let you know. I thought £5.73 was cheap for 7 CDs.......

Oh dear! I ordered from ch_marche24, and am still waiting. I have had instances on Amazon where the text was right and the image was wrong, though - and the price per CD is still not as low as many of the Brilliant boxes...

Paul

Me too! Still, thought it worth a punt! :huh: