Mander Organ Builders Forum

Things That Really Annoy You

Davidb

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, have you ever thought of writing a book? I thought Gordon Reynolds' "Full Swell" was good for a laugh, but YOUR postings have a habit of reducing me to tearful gales of laughter - which is a bit embarrassing in the office.... but then I shouldn't really be doing this in the office :lol:

=====================

Oddly enough, the novel which I wrote is based on fact, and it is both deeply disturbing and extremely tragic, yet in parts very funny. Tragedy and comedy are often interchangeable.

That said, I probably know enough strange stories and true situation comedy-moments to do exactly that, and for some strange reason, I've sort of collected them over the years.

Maybe such a collection could be web-published?

MM

=====================

That said, I probably know enough strange stories and true situation comedy-moments to do exactly that, and for some strange reason, I've sort of collected them over the years.

Well, go on then - I'd buy a copy!

I won't list all my pet hates - they are too much along the lines of 'Those who think they know it all are very irritating to those of us who do...'!

Pointless repetition of facile words rates high, music played so loud that it deafens, or so softly as not to accompany properly, or so fast that clarity and form is lost, or so slowly that boredom sets in - all annoy.

My real ire, though, is reserved for politicians - don't get me started!

Regards to all.

John

I won't list all my pet hates - they are too much along the lines of 'Those who think they know it all are very irritating to those of us who do...'!

Pointless repetition of facile words rates high, music played so loud that it deafens, or so softly as not to accompany properly, or so fast that clarity and form is lost, or so slowly that boredom sets in - all annoy.

Regards to all.

John

=========================

Now there's a possible thread, except that it would be about a quarter-of-an-inch long.

Apart from Ted Heath, were there ever any other organ-playing politicians I wonder?

Royalty and aristocracy certainly.....HRH Prince Albert perhaps the most famous, but also Lady Macleod (the Macleods of Macleod....whatever that means) who used to play the organ at a village church on Skye, or some other outcrop of rock stuck in the ocean, if I recall correctly.....it was a long time ago.

MM

===========================

I think if Simon Lindley were to contribute HIS funny stories and add them to MINE, we would have a winner.

Trouble is, after "allegedly" inciting violence, and inviting the attention of "the top brass" of the RCO, he's probably not speaking to me anymore!

It's not long since I skulked past Leeds Town Hall like an illegal-immigrant; hoping not to bump into him.

:lol:

MM

===========================

I think if Simon Lindley were to contribute HIS funny stories and add them to MINE, we would have a winner.

Trouble is, after "allegedly" inciting violence, and inviting the attention of "the top brass" of the RCO, he's probably not speaking to me anymore!

It's not long since I skulked past Leeds Town Hall like an illegal-immigrant; hoping not to bump into him.

:lol:

MM

Probably best to go into hiding then, MM....

;)

=========================

Apart from Ted Heath, were there ever any other organ-playing politicians I wonder?

MM

Sir Waldron Smithers, for many years Conservative MP for (I think) Orpington in Kent, was organist for getting on for 50 years at St Katherine's, Knockholt.

Indeed, I understand that the former Liberal party leader David Steel is a keen and enthusiastic organist.

S

======================

I met David Steel once, because he is also, like myself, very interested in car-rallies, and I believe he once took part in the historic Monte Carlo event or somesuch.

He is/was a very close neighbour to the infamous McRae family; consisting of Jimmy McRae (father), Alastair McRae and Colin McRae; all of whom were top profesisonal rally-drivers.

I had absolutely no idea that David Steel might have been an organist too!

Regards to all.

John

And what about people who, on rainy days, leave their umbrellas up when they're walking through shopping centres and arcades which are completely coverered?

Don't get me started!

Peter

And what about people who, on rainy days, leave their umbrellas up when they're walking through shopping centres and arcades which are completely coverered?

Don't get me started!

Peter

Fair enough - working, as I do, in a shopping centre, SHOPPERS (well, many of them) annoy me intensely, but we'll let that pass.

In my previous reply I omitted (through haste) one thing that annoys and puzzles in equal measure. Why is it that those who arrange Carol services are apparently incapable of leaving 'Silent Night' alone? Why is it that this particular piece attracts so much attention from those who love to set carols for choral singing? The results may be great fun to sing, but the essence of this carol, for me, is its simplicity. After all, it was written, legend has it, to be accompanied by a guitar. Go on Kings, I dare you!

Regards to all

The results may be great fun to sing, but the essence of this carol, for me, is its simplicity.
Ah well, if truth be known (and it always hurts, doesn't it?) the great unwashed tend to say that about all carols. The majority of them would much rather hear them all penny plain than tarted up. Unless it's King's of course; but, for the rest of us, we're wasting our time with fancy arrangements.

In O Little Town of Bethlehem, verse 3...

Is it just me, or has nobody noticed that verse 2 of 'O little town' is usually printed backwards? If you start it 'O morning stars...' then 'For Christ is born of Mary...' as it was printed in the St Nicholas carol book (RSCM, thin, pale blue) it makes much better sense.

I invariably have it in the carol service and print it in the service sheet this way round.

(Mind you, I usually provide other misprints of my own. Like leaving out an entire carol...)

Is it just me, or has nobody noticed that verse 2 of 'O little town' is usually printed backwards? If you start it 'O morning stars...' then 'For Christ is born of Mary...' as it was printed in the St Nicholas carol book (RSCM, thin, pale blue) it makes much better sense.

I invariably have it in the carol service and print it in the service sheet this way round.

(Mind you, I usually provide other misprints of my own. Like leaving out an entire carol...)

Um, I’ve mostly sung “O Little Town…..” from Carols for Choirs where verse two definitely starts “O morning stars….”

:rolleyes:

I get annoyed by morons who leave the swell box shut or stops 1/2 out when they leave after a practice session - or, even worse, (and what had me really spitting this evening when I arrived at the church), leaving the (new maroon felt) dust cover suspended from 2 music desk hooks. I ended up writing a suitably snotty note at the console to visiting organists telling them exactly how I expected them to leave the organ when they left. If they want to use the organ for practice, the very least they can do is treat the thing with respect.

Guest Andrew Butler
I get annoyed by morons who leave the swell box shut or stops 1/2 out when they leave after a practice session - or, even worse, (and what had me really spitting this evening when I arrived at the church), leaving the (new maroon felt) dust cover suspended from 2 music desk hooks. I ended up writing a suitably snotty note at the console to visiting organists telling them exactly how I expected them to leave the organ when they left. If they want to use the organ for practice, the very least they can do is treat the thing with respect.

And re-set your pistons....... :rolleyes:

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

I hated other people writing (often not neatly and not entirely accurately and in ink) in the Tuner's Book. There was one noted(sic) organist who came to rehearse (for the place was always in great demand for recordings and concerts). I always thought him of dubious renown and this in my mind was substantiated when he wrote that "nothing on the Solo Organ was working" after a visit to rehearse for a private recording. Father Willis had only prepared for the 4th manual!

............and what about the people who come and use a rubber, leaving all the bits cascading down the keyboards?

............and what about the players who have to play by numbers? They stick numbers on the stops and then leave them on for the next person.

Best wishes,

Nigel

Guest Andrew Butler

I've seen "the best organist in the district" leave notes on 2 organs to the effect that "Voix Celeste not working below ten C".

I endorse the rubbers comment too.

I was going to be "on the last minute" for a service once, and had left the organ open, music ready to play. I arrived to find that the church cleaner had "cleaned" the organ loft - and carefully tidied everything away!

A visiting organist (formerly in a prestigious appointment) came to play for a special service a while back, unbeknown to me (Priest forgot to tell me) Music I had left ready for a service later that day was simply pushed onto the floor!!

I hated other people writing (often not neatly and not entirely accurately and in ink) in the Tuner's Book. There was one noted(sic) organist who came to rehearse (for the place was always in great demand for recordings and concerts). I always thought him of dubious renown and this in my mind was substantiated when he wrote that "nothing on the Solo Organ was working" after a visit to rehearse for a private recording. Father Willis had only prepared for the 4th manual!

The usefulness of a read through the Tuner’s Book to the visiting organist has been mentioned on this board before. If you prefer visitors not to write in the Tuner’s Book then keep it out of sight and provide a sheet of useful tips for the visitor, if you think things might need spelling out.

In the case of a prepared division or stops how is the visitor supposed to know?