Mander Organ Builders Forum

Trio Sonata No1, Movment One

Davidb

Can anyone give me any advice on learning this piece? i'm thinking of trying to learn it over the half term week as i have the time to devote to learning a 'serious' piece, and its something i've always enjoyed listening to.

Any advice appreciated,

David

Guest Barry Williams
Can anyone give me any advice on learning this piece? i'm thinking of trying to learn it over the half term week as i have the time to devote to learning a 'serious' piece, and its something i've always enjoyed listening to.

Any advice appreciated,

David

As with any piece, but especially with this movement, (which has some very tricky passages,) get the fingering and footing right at the outset and stick to it. There are a number of editions with markings in, from Dupre, with almost every note fingered, to several others with sparser markings. The alternative is to go to a good teacher and get the fingering etc marked in for you.

It will take you longer to re-learn incorrect fingering than to learn a whole new piece. Once learned like this you will have this movement in your repertoire for life. Practise slowly so that you have complete control over every note. Everyone has difficulty over bars 34 and 35.

Barry Williams

Any advice appreciated,

David

==============================

One of the bets possible aids to learning Trios, is to isolate the parts and practice each separately; but that can be a bit tedious, to say the least.

I found it much more interesting to record the right hand and pedals, and then play it back whilst adding the left-hand. Thus, I was practising just one line, but within the context of the whole.

The interesting thing about this approach, is that when it came to putting all three parts together, because baroque music is essentially about treble and bass lines, with imitative inner parts, I found that I could just put it all together and play it.

A word of warning about the ornamentation if you get around to the slow movement (middle), which has an inversion of the theme, but without any ornamentation indicated. The ornamentation needs to be scribbled in to imitate the first section.

Like all the trio movements, they are a source of endless joy, but quite tricky to learn; even the simplest, which is the Eb.

MM