Mander Organ Builders Forum

Widor

Justadad

C-M Widor died 12th March, 1937.

Does that mean his music goes out of copyright next month?

(I appreciate editions of his music retain their copyright, but as far as performing and broadcasting his music is it open season from 13/03/'07?)

Justadad

The editions are out of copyright if they are older than ?25 years and the composer has been dead 70. Witness what happened when the rule used to be 50 years and Kalmus produced their copies of the Hamelle editions. You can still buy these of course even though the rules changed again to 100 and then to 70 years. Everything is open season from 13th March unless the editions are very recent !!

The editions are out of copyright if they are older than ?25 years and the composer has been dead 70. Witness what happened when the rule used to be 50 years and Kalmus produced their copies of the Hamelle editions. You can still buy these of course even though the rules changed again to 100 and then to 70 years. Everything is open season from 13th March unless the editions are very recent !!

I think that the 70 years counts from Dec 31 of the year in which the creator dies, so technically Widor won't become public domain until 31.12.2007 although I'd be surprised if Hamelle got shirty with you between now and then. On the other hand David Titterington's edition of THE toccata (the one with the misprints) may well be protected until 70 years after his (DT's) demise. Cf. the relatively recent "corrected" edition of Ulysses, which was, it seems certain, brought out specifically to extend copyright income for the estate and the publishers.

I am unaware of a hundred-year rule ever being in place in the UK. Can you illuminate me?

Michael

Sorry to reply to my own post, but to clarify Mr B's point about editions: I think the 25 year copyright is for the typesetting and layout, not the editorial content. But copyright law is extremely complicated and I may well have got this round my neck.

Michael

I think that the 70 years counts from Dec 31 of the year in which the creator dies, so technically Widor won't become public domain until 31.12.2007

Correct.

On the other hand David Titterington's edition of THE toccata (the one with the misprints) may well be protected until 70 years after his (DT's) demise.

Also correct!

None of this, of course, stops a chap from selling very cheap CD-ROMs full of scanned Widor (and Dupre, and Franck, and...) on eBay.

Richard

C-M Widor died 12th March, 1937.

Does that mean his music goes out of copyright next month?

(I appreciate editions of his music retain their copyright, but as far as performing and broadcasting his music is it open season from 13/03/'07?)

Justadad

==========================

Try this people:-

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_li...?composer_id=75

:)

MM

Hi MM

Thank you for that.

I wasn't actually looking for music, though.

L recorded himself playing the Widor Suite for Piano and Flute, and was thinking about putting it on his My Space site. I wondered about the copyright issues and found that we are about to hit the 70th anniversary of Widor's death. Thanks to the answers here I now know he can't put the mp3 on his site until next January (by which time he'll probably want to use something else anyway) even though I doubt anyone would be likely to object.

J

==========================

Try this people:-

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_li...?composer_id=75

:)

MM